Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
lowri

Himalayan Balsam seedlings - what will kill them?

Suddenly noticed all these Himalayan balsam seedlings coming up in bare ground. Couldn't cope last year and now am reaping the whirlwind, so to speak. Garlon used to do for nettles a treat, what about Roundup? I fear hoeing is out of the question, physically, and they are triffids anyway. I know this is all politically incorrect, but I am desperate!
derbyshiredowser

From memory last time these were discussed the only way is to physically pull them up roots and all before the pesky seed pods explode. If you are not able to do that I don't know if or what weedkiller would work on their odd stems.
dpack

let em get up a couple of feet and use a weed whacker on them, do it again after a month or so to chop up the rest and any that regrow.repeat if needs be.
permit none to seed.

repeat for several years

after that it will only be seeds from outside and a few to pull up each spring

2 to 3 years and they are gone

even if you poison them you will need to do it several times and for a few years.
mechanical floracide is pretty "green"
tahir

This is good

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2018-01/himalayan-balsam-controlling-it-on-your-land.pdf
Shan

Could one burn them out?
jamanda

Pull pull and pull. The earlier the better. It does work given a few years.
dpack

pull or whack, don't let them seed.

poison will take as long, the seeds are viable for at least a couple of years

they do not thrive under trees but that is a bit long term compared to a weedwhacker Laughing
lowri

Thanks so much everyone. Tahir, the public information bit is most informative. As I am confined to barracks for 3 months, it'll be "something to do", but at the rate it has reseeded in the past, it will probably outlive me!! Smile Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home