Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Bodger

Home kill pig.

I'm going to do a home slaughter of a pig the week after next. I've cleared it with trading standards and everything is above board and legal.

I had a pig done on my place about 15 years ago but the memory fails and unfortunately the guy that did the disemboweling bit has passed away. I'm happy with getting the hair off and doing the butchery ( well fairly happy anyway ) but its the disemboweling that I forget about. I've done thousands of rabbits but thats not really the same. Have we got an article stored somewhere that shows or explains how to do the grotty bit ?

I seem to remember that you have to cut around the anus and tie it off. pottytrain2
snowball

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would get rid of that fly before you start.
vegplot

Snowball wrote:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I would get rid of that fly before you start.

Is it an ant?

That's twice now I've tried to brush it off the screen.
Jonnyboy

Re: Home kill pig.

bodger wrote:

I seem to remember that you have to cut around the anus and tie it off. pottytrain2

I've read that as well.

RobR, NeathChris etc. What's the low down on this?
Bodger

No insects at this end. Are you sure its not inside your monitor ? Laughing Laughing Laughing
pookie

bodger wrote:
No insects at this end. Are you sure its not inside your monitor ? Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's what I thought at first! Now I just keep itching when I see it in a itchy 'have I got nits kind of way' Rolling Eyes
Bodger

I've just sprayed the computer at my end. Laughing
vegplot

bodger wrote:
I've just sprayed the computer at my end. Laughing

That's done it!
pookie

yes...I was worried it was going to end up as an infestation Wink
Rob R

Re: Home kill pig.

Jonnyboy wrote:
bodger wrote:

I've read that as well.

RobR, NeathChris etc. What's the low down on this?

Yep, less of a problem if the animal hasn't had a meal for 24 hours, and if it's a boar cut around the bits you don't want to eat Wink Gravity helps if you string it up, hand down the inside to avoid piercing the guts & work your way down to the breastbone- give VSS a shout, he knows what he's doing & fairly local, I think.
Bodger

He's a she Rob. Laughing
Rob R

Well the beard hides it well Wink
RichardW

bodger wrote:
He's a she Rob. Laughing

Was going to he's both then thought better of it Embarassed Embarassed

Justme
VSS

I covered the whole process in detail in the January 2006 issue of Country Smallholding. Step by step instructions.
RichardW

Caused quite a stir if I remember right.

Justme
VSS

Certainly generated a lot of feedback, but all positive. Still getting people asking for backcopies now.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home