Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
dpack

homebase plants?any thoughts?

what it says above really,

i need veg for my sunny (very) raised bed(fishboxes as tubs give good coverage,depth and step between spaces)

i have about 2.5 m2 bed space and a few m 2 of netted wall and quite a few more m2 as netted shed roof for climbers and spreaders plus a few wall and window boxes

packets of seed would be daft overkill as i need no more than 3 of any type of veg and one of some things .salad leaves as seed makes sense but i only need one squash etc etc

i want decent pot or plug grown plants.

i have a homebase a short electric bike ride away along the river.

i want to go to one place with my 30 and get the lot in one go and put it in a box on the back rack.

is it worth risking death to avoid homebase plants ?

there are a couple of decent independent nurseries but i might die riding there and back so they are 2nd choice Laughing
Nick

We had b&q plants last year for beans, cabbage, courgette, sweet potato and toms.

You won't get a variety of varieties, but they were fine. Runner beans were the star.
sean

I reckon they'll be OK. If you've got a car boot sale you can get to you'll get better plants and have at least fifteen quid left to spend on beer.
dpack

the car boot idea might work but homebase is easy and bnq is near but a bit dangeroos so they are both possibles

thanks for the advice folks ,runner beans are on the list as i have some wall space and a ladder for picking .

tis a daft garden when the only sunny bits are up and only part of that is fitted for soil Laughing

tis even more daft that for a cycle friendly city the bits made especially for cars such as the retail parks do have bike parts drawn on plastic sellotaped on to the plans but have some very nasty bits as a surprise for the 2 wheeled .
Mistress Rose

It is not worth getting killed for a few plants, but if you go anywhere near a car boot sale or market where they sell their own home grown plants it is better as you are not buying potentially imported mass produced plants.
Falstaff

Or you could spend a fiver on the petrol, go in the car and still have a tenner left for the beer ! Very Happy
dpack

for a few miles with a few kilos of plants using petrol would be squandering resources.

ps i think it is about 2 yrs since i have been anywhere in a car (that was shifting,in one go,about 50 kg of valuable rocks a mile or so to a railway station).sorry im wrong cos i forgot that i collected a rescue hound by car a year ago. that probably puts my car mileage up to about 25 mpy over the last 5 yrs or so

last year my dead pig and dead sheep hitched a lift 12 miles on journeys that were being taken anyway and my preloved elderly pooters came as a 50 metre detour to a long journey.

apart from some food shopping being delivered and some ebay stuff being dispatched i dont use much petrochem based road transport.
Nick

for a few miles with a few kilos of plants using petrol would be squandering resources.

ps i think it is about 2 yrs since i have been anywhere in a car (that was shifting,in one go,about 50 kg of valuable rocks a mile or so to a railway station).sorry im wrong cos i forgot that i collected a rescue hound by car a year ago. that probably puts my car mileage up to about 25 mpy over the last 5 yrs or so

last year my dead pig and dead sheep hitched a lift 12 miles on journeys that were being taken anyway and my preloved elderly pooters came as a 50 metre detour to a long journey.

apart from some food shopping being delivered and some ebay stuff being dispatched i dont use much petrochem based road transport.

More than 50 metres! I went round that sodding block three times trying to find your road.

Squanderer.
dpack

ah oops ( sat nav is ace ) add a few hundred meters to my squandering
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home