Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
CelticRed

Homemade Crisps

Has anyone successfully made homemade crisps. I've tried before but always been a bit disappointed with the end result.

At lunch today I discovered beetroot & sweet potato crisps & they were yum. So I fancy having a go - if I can work out how to slice raw beetroot really thinly and still retain some fingers!
nettie

I've always fancied having a go at these. Could you use a mandolin? (I'm just waiting for the silly comments now....)
Treacodactyl

This may be of some help:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=6050
nettie

That, my friend, should be a wee article Very Happy
cab

I made crisps for the first time last Thursday. I used the thin slicer attachment on a kenwood chef shredder and grater, deep fried some potato (resounding success), parsnip (partial success) and mooli (not successful, but we still ate them) crisps. Dead easy, and really tasty.
2steps

I have tried before but never had much luck. I'm going to try what Treacodactyl posted Smile I have seen those microwave crisp makers and always wondered if they were good or not
Treacodactyl

nettie wrote:
That, my friend, should be a wee article Very Happy

I think it was going to become one but has been forgotten. The cider one would also make one along the lines of what can you do if you have half an hour to spare.
jema

I have been pretty successful with crisps. I always dry the slices with kitchen roll before frying, and I think this is the key.
marigold

2steps wrote:
I have tried before but never had much luck. I'm going to try what Treacodactyl posted Smile I have seen those microwave crisp makers and always wondered if they were good or not

A friend had one of those when her daughter was little and loved crisps. The crisps aren't like fried crisps, but they are surprisingly nice to eat and not all laden with fat and salt. It probably takes a bit of practise to get the technique, but I'd say, yes you can make something nice to eat with them. I speak purely as a taster though, I've never tried making them myself Wink
Blue Sky

I often make crisps for the boys. They are always alot better than bought in ones. I use a kitchen knife to slice 'em but I have had alot of practice and would recommend a slicer to a beginner Shocked

Slice 'em as thin as you can then "as Jema says" dry them out on kitchen roll or just on a mesh. Get the oil really hot (this is very important too). You don't need to cook them for long if the oil is hot and this is what gives the crispiness.

I always leave the skins on. We have homemade crisps at least once a week.

Best of luck, S
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home