Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Bugs

horlicks

except, it has HVO in it. Why oh why?

Following an experiment last week involving spray malt and hot milk, which seemed too sweet though we may have just used too much, tonight we have had some malt extract in milk, and it's very lovely. About 2 tsp to a mug seems ideal for our tastes, you may like more or less.

Maybe everyone in the whole world does this already Embarassed but I was impressed, and it's a reason to have another useful ingredient in the house (one of my bread books uses it instead of sugar for wholemeal/brown loaves, and I fancy a bash at malt loaf as well).
judith

What is "spray malt"?
joanne

Spray Malt is malt extract that has been sprayed dried - it is used in brewing quite alot - looks and smells just like Horlicks

Joanne
judith

Aaah. That explains why I've never encountered it. The mysterious world of home brewing is still a closed book to me. I do have a jar of malt extract, but it looks like runny marmite. I wish I could remember why I bought it.... Confused
Nanny

horlicks

malt loaf judith?
judith

Malt loaf is a possibility, but I don't think that was it.
I am too young to be having a senior moment!!!
dougal

Re: horlicks

Bugs wrote:
.. spray malt ... seemed too sweet ... tonight we have had some malt extract in milk, and it's very lovely. About 2 tsp to a mug seems ideal for our tastes, you may like more or less.

Another non-brewer here, but looking for appropriate malt for bread baking. No not malt loaves - just a tiny addition to induce a different, additional, reaction with the flour carbohydrates. Amylase enzymes, I'm told...
Being only used slowly, I was thinking about keeping quality.

Bugs, I'm slightly confused. 2tsp of ordinary (gloopy) malt extract for a nice "horlicks" but 2tsp of "spray malt" was overkill? Or am I more confused than I think I am? Very Happy
Treacodactyl

I'll look up quantities in my brewing books later, but you tend to use less dry malt than the liquid stuff when brewing.
ButteryHOLsomeness

too bad i don't care for horlicks as i have a jar of malt extract in the house that needs using up. i think i bought it for bread but then never got around to making it... wish i had time to make bread these days Shocked
alison

Malt loaf is yummy.
Jonnyboy

Flip, I must be a crap home brewer, I didn't even know what spray malt was Embarassed

Off to buy some soon I think, especially as it seems to have a number of uses.
Bugs

Jonnyboy wrote:
Off to buy some soon I think, especially as it seems to have a number of uses.

I'm still trying to fathom how to reconstitute it into maltesers Laughing
Jonnyboy

Now that would be a secret more powerful than alchemy.
wellington womble

Yep, who needs gold when you've got maltesers! Cool
cab

Malt extract mixed into a chocolate milkshake (melted chocolate in cream whisked in with milk and ice cream) is wonderful. Make it thick enough anc you can float maltesers on top.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home