Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Cathryn

Horse Wormers

I have to change the type of wormer I use for the horses this Autumn. I currently use Equest which is moxidectin and was going to change to panacur which is benzimidazoles. However this doesn't give bot cover... I could use an ivermectin type but is that the same as the moxidectin? If it isn't, I could use Eqvalan duo which sounds a damn sight easier and saves me having to remember to sort something out for tapeworms as well.

Then of course, I should really do a worm count before using the panacur, oh help! Smile
NeathChris

could you not use a cattle wormer? Be cheaper for you, but is it safe for the horse? Confused
Green Man

Moxidectin is similar but not exactly the same as Ivermectin so changing would be beneficial. Panacur is the wormer with the biggest resistance problem so be aware. Encysted red worms are a problem, and a good time to kill them is before they emerge in the spring with a single dose of Equest. Remember tape worms do not show up in a dung sample. Eqvalan Duo or Equimax would be an alternative to Equest Pramox if you want to cover most worms including Tape.
Green Man

NeathChris wrote:
could you not use a cattle wormer? Be cheaper for you, but is it safe for the horse? Confused

It would be ilegal to do so unless you have a prescription from a vet.
Nick

Is that true? Just because it's not licensed, I'm not sure it makes it illegal, or am I getting at cross purposes...
Cathryn

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Moxidectin is similar but not exactly the same as Ivermectin so changing would be beneficial. Eqvalan Duo or Equimax would be an alternative to Equest Pramox if you want to cover most worms including Tape.

Those are the bits I need...so I can swop to an ivermectin based one to avoid resistance? Good! Far more straightforward.

Cattle wormers - hmm yes I was having that conversation at one this morning which is why I gave up and thought I would ask on here.
mochyn

Embarassed Misread this and wondered why your animals needed warming up...
Green Man

Nick wrote:
Is that true? Just because it's not licensed, I'm not sure it makes it illegal, or am I getting at cross purposes...

Yes, you have to have wormers prescribed nowadays by a Suitably Qualified Person SQP, who is not allowed to sell a cattle wormer for a horse. But a vet can do this if they see the need.
Cathryn

Are you saying that there is a suitably qualified person in my little local saddlery or in the Farmers Co-op I use? There is I am sure but possibly not Suitably Qualified.
Green Man

The law used to allow anybody to sell wormers from registered premises, but the sale had to be authorised by a SQP within 48hrs. Now you can only buy wormers from SQPs in person. Many chains and small outlets may still be breaking the law by not enforcing this rule, but by 10.2008 all SQPs must have re-trained and any shoddy practice will result in being de-registered with the Pharmaceutical Society. There are different grades of SQPs. Some can sell only dog/cat wormers, some just horse, some can sell cat, dog and horse. Some can sell just farm animal medicines and some can sell them all. All will have to retrain between 2006 and 10.2008. Its an E.U. thing. Confused If you think you are being given advice from a non SQP, ask to see their AMTRA card.
hedgewitch

mochyn wrote:

Me too. Embarassed I was imagining rather large, fleecy dog-coat type garments. And possibly bobble hats with holes for ears to poke through. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Cathryn

My little local saddlery is also a pharmacy, sells cures for everything. Smile
mochyn

hedgewitch wrote:
mochyn wrote:

Me too. Embarassed I was imagining rather large, fleecy dog-coat type garments. And possibly bobble hats with holes for ears to poke through. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sooooo glad I'm not the only eejit (apart from Gil) around here. Laughing
Cathryn

In fact, you can get those sort of things for horses that actually get ridden rather than like mine who just hang around in the fields eating money. My lot just get to grow their own.
jamanda

hedgewitch wrote:
mochyn wrote:

As long as I'm not expected to knit them Shocked
Cathryn

Get Ben started on the pom poms now!
hedgewitch

ruby wrote:
Get Ben started on the pom poms now!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rob R

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
NeathChris wrote:

It would be ilegal to do so unless you have a prescription from a vet.

Panacur is OK for horses, as well as sheep & cattle.
Cathryn

Yep but I'm going to use Ivermectin this time. And yes it probably would be a bit cheaper if I also had loads of cattle to give it to as well Wink however a couple of doses already in a syringe makes life so much easier.
Rob R

You want some cattle? It can be arranged Cool
Cathryn

A Rosewood Outreach (you don't give up do you Rolling Eyes ). Do they see you coming with wormer and say uh oh I'm having none of that and head for the farthest corner of the fields as well?
Rob R

Dunno, never wormed them before dontknow
Green Man

Rob R wrote:

I've never seen Panacur for sale like that in 1litre bottle. Avarage horse would only cost £2.00 to worm Very Happy , but you would need quite a few to get through a 1litre bottle. Unfortunatly Panacur (Fenbendazole) is the drug equine worms have become the most resistant too Crying or Very sad .
Rob R

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I've never seen Panacur for sale like that in 1litre bottle. Avarage horse would only cost £2.00 to worm Very Happy , but you would need quite a few to get through a 1litre bottle. Unfortunatly Panacur (Fenbendazole) is the drug equine worms have become the most resistant too Crying or Very sad .

You mean the most resistance within equine worms?
Cathryn

It's ok CKR I'll shake him for you next time I see him!
Bobkitten

Hi,

If you are interested in a more natural approach to worming a books by a lady by Pat Coleby "Natural Horse Care" and "Natural Farming" would be worth a read.

I've been following her advice now for 4 years, have a super low worm counts (and blood tests for tape) and consequently haven't wormed. Interestingly my ex race horse who was regularly wormed for 10 years had the highest count that my unwormed horses Confused
Green Man

I'm interested in your methods, but rather than reading the book, can you give us a few tips?
Bobkitten

Sure, although I should point out this it isn't MY method. I just follow the advice given Wink

Essentially if our animals (not just horses) have adequate minerals (especially copper) then worms simply cannot live in the body. A study by the University of Minnesota showed that horses have a huge need for copper (think of all the wood chewers - there's a reason for it - copper in the bark - get the mineral levels right, no wood chewing, no worms).

My horses all have free choice copper sulphate, dolomite, rock salt, sulphur and seaweed. They take it as and when they need it.

In a tiny nutshell, that's it. I would recommend reading the books though for the science and research.

It contains great advice for pasture management and improving sour unproductive soils.

In fact I'm just waiting for my first soil analysis back from Oz with PC's recommendations. Don't expect it'll be good but it can be put right at least. Very Happy
Green Man

Thanks a lot. That is very interesting. I shall look further into this. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home