Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Tradbritfowlco

Horsemeat and milk and leather etc

what say you to this. I'm something of a 'horsey person' and a while ago i wouldve cried if i had to eat horsemeat Shocked but, the more i think about it the less prejudiced i get!! Laughing and now if you offered me a plate of horse curry to wash down with a glass of horse milk and a nice ponyskin jacket, i'd gladly accept!

has anyone eaten horse meat and what does it taste like?

did you know you can get and astonishing 3ltrs of milk from a pony?

how do you kill a horse?

?????
alison

I had horse in France, years ago. Very similar to beef steak, as far as I remember. The family I was with didn't tell me what it was, in case I refused it, and my French was a bit rubbish then. (Not that much better now!)

I would definately have it again. Very tasty.
Tradbritfowlco

great - thanks for that! Very Happy
sean

I've eaten horse too. It was fine, quite 'beefy' as Alison says.
Supposedly rendered horse suet is the finest possible frying medium for chips.
sean

Oh, and proper US bike-cop style leather jackets (think CHIPS and one of the Dirty Harry films) are made from horse hide.
dpack

horse ok
needs marinade imho as it is a bit tough ,slow/ pressure cooking works
donkey makes good dried salami style sausages
Kinnopio

Isn't Gordon Ramsay featuring this on the F Word next week? I think Janet Street-Porter tries selling it at Newmarket.

Peronally eating horse wouldn't bother me but I'm not a horsey person - but at the same time I don't know if I would eat dog. Us humans are funny creatures in the way we look on some animals as food and others not.
gil

There is (was?) a manufacturer in Scotland already making jackets from horse leather. He said he sourced skins from the US, from horses that had died naturally or been put down by vets. Niiiice jackets.

I see from Sean's post that he's come across this kind of thing Smile
dpack

dog is ok
pricey

I ate horse meat nearly every day when I worked in Sardinia, It's all they eat (sorry NL forot to tell you that) We also ate it in Orleans last year, rita thouhgt it tasted different but I didn't tell her till we got home, ouch Embarassed
bingo

There's not many meats I wouldn't try, as long as the animal has had a respectfull life.
Except Monkeys, unless I was really hungry.

Tradbritfowlco

i doubt i'd eat monkey or cat - they just dont look tasty. dog i would have a problem with - dont fancy eating a carnivore really i spose. oysters look too much like bogeys to be eaten.

maybe horsemeat is tough because usually the old knackers are eaten? something young and tender should be ok ?

cant wait to see it on the f word!
dpack

no amount of mustard is enough for tom
Tradbritfowlco

do you think if a horse meat farm was set up in britain it would suffer abuse? assuming there isnt one already!
dpack

yes
VSS

The fact that eating horse is not sociall y acceptable in the UK is why there are so many poor animals about. In France, we would just eat them.

Quite right too.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk
Tradbritfowlco

i tend to agree with you - i used to work at a horse sanctuary and the boss there was all for shooting anything with the slightest defect to make sure all horses were perfect! that's what they do in australia and i can see cowboys doing the same....but the other employees didnt agree! Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home