Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Behemoth

Hosepipe Bans Lifted

The Environment Agency today said it was reasonable for Thames Water, Southern Water, Sutton and East Surrey Water and Three Valleys Water to lift hosepipe bans as the rain over the past few months had significantly improved the water resources situation in the south east of England.

Chief Executive Barbara Young said:

"It's only very recently that we've seen above average rainfall in the south east, reservoirs full, or close to full, again and essential groundwater reserves recovering because of the rain. So lifting hosepipe bans is reasonable if water companies are confident the winter rainfall has replenished water resources to sufficient levels to get through next summer.

"However, despite the wet autumn and winter so far, groundwater levels are still low in parts of the south east and it is too early to say the drought is completely over. If the rest of the winter is dry, there is still a risk of drought next summer.

"The drought over the past two years has been a powerful reminder to us all that water is precious. For the moment, we're in a better position than this time last year, but this doesn’t mean we can become complacent. We need to save water at all times."
wellington womble

Halleluya! We've been under a ban since March. The new house will still have rainwater harvesting, though, as it seems only common sense. It's on the second floor, so will only do the downstairs loo and dishwasher and the garden, but that's definitely a start.

Oh blast - I might have to wash the car! Shocked
Treacodactyl

At last, now I can use a hose pipe just like all the neighbours have been during the ban. Twisted Evil

Might also be time to get some more water butts now they are in stock again and I also need to clean out all my existing ones.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home