Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Nick

Hotel in Westport, Ireland.

I'm looking for an hotel in Westport, right on the edge of Ireland. Don't suppose anyone could suggest a good/bad one, please?
sean

No idea. It was Ireland's Tidiest Town in 2001, 2006 and 2008 though, so don't go making a mess while you're there.
Nick

2011, it will not win.

I wonder if it's neatness is actually an inability to move. My visit there is to see one of the largest manufacturers of medical botox in Europe. Perhaps they've fixed the town in place?
baldybloke

It's probably wrinkle free as well.

The Irish Tourist Board are really helpful, so I would start with them. A crackin part of Ireland, having been there several times before. Connemarra is stunning.
gil

Yup, Westport was a 'planned' town, so the street / town layout is interesting for a place its size. Some good pubs, with music. No idea about hotels. Stunning scenery. You'll not be wanting to climb Croagh Patrick on your knees though.

I stayed in the Youth Hostel at Westport when I did the 'tour of the edge of Ireland using the tiny coast roads' by motorbike with my best mate in the 90s.
Gervase

Can't help you with a hotel, but it's a lovely town with some excellent bars and terrific music. I was there last month and fell in love with the place.
baldybloke

Yup, Westport was a 'planned' town, so the street / town layout is interesting for a place its size. Some good pubs, with music. No idea about hotels. Stunning scenery. You'll not be wanting to climb Croagh Patrick on your knees though.

I stayed in the Youth Hostel at Westport when I did the 'tour of the edge of Ireland using the tiny coast roads' by motorbike with my best mate in the 90s.

Last time I was there was on the bike with camping kit on the back, although we did stay in hostels if it was tipping it down.
Liz in Ireland

I think Clew Bay Hotel is recommended as it is possibly the only one family owned and run, rather than being a NAMA zombie hotel.
www.clewbayhotel.com/
OH just been camping there with son and son's friend - Westport House very expensive!
We usually stay with Auntie Anne in Louisburgh!!
Nick

We are in WestportHouse Hotel. 60 notes a night, and looks very good.
Nick

Crap bread, great steak, and good Guinness.
baldybloke

Two out of three ain't bad.
Camile

Come down here and will sort the bread out !
Jamanda

Sean, you could ask Camilla. She has friends there and an interest in Hotels!
sean

Nick's there now anyway. It's a bit late.
Nick

I'm home now. Done Cork, Dublin and Westport and come home. Long week.
sean

Did you get us a present?
Nick

I've brought black pudding, smoked salmon, soda bread and chocolate.

In answer to your question, however, no.
sean

Breakfast can be a present.
Nick

It was the 'us' bit that'll you'll be disappointed at. I did bring presents.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Digital Point Advertising Home Array Array Home