Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
hils

House & 1 acre for sale Lincolnshire

A bit cheeky of me to do this but my late grandmothers house is for sale, I can't bare the thought of anyone living there who she wouldn't like! I think she'd like you guys so anyone interested?!.

Based between Sleaford and Ruskington in Lincolnshire.
5 bedroom house
Approx 30ft living rm
Approx 20ft dining rm
A 'daytime' living room
Kitchen
Entrance porch
Large upstairs landing/open space
Bathroom
Downstairs loo

Set back from river slea which runs down the edge of the garden.

Set on 1 acre (maybe a bit more)

LOADS of out buildings, a couple of which are 2 storey.

Needs a bit of doing up but you could live in it for years without doing a thing.

NEGATIVE POINTS:
A private road which runs from the main road has a railway crossing which you have open yourself. This is nice as it offers a bit of security but in winter its a pain in the ass!

Is up for £250,000

Being sold thro Humberts in Sleaford (will find number)

(There is a resident goose for Tahir to play with!)
tahir

Sounds great (apart from the goose), you can't get much for that price in Essex
Bugs

It does sound very nice. I rather like Lincolnshire too. It's still not for me though (I need more wood, and possibly a better climate) but I hope you find someone to love it Hils, and if they don't I hope Granny Hils pops by to haunt them Wink

Just in case other people are interested, what do you mean by a "daytime" living room and does the proximity of the river have any advantages or disadvantages (thinking fishing, flooding, and people nosing from boats)
wellington womble

Have humberts put it on their website? I couldn't find it (did find one or two other nice looking properties, though!)

I don't think I can pursuade hubby to move that far north yet, but I'll try!
Gertie

Lincolnshire is a lovely county - with some beautiful properties.

Remember, folks, you normally get more for your money up this end of the country (listen, I'll do anything to get downsizer membership away from Essex/Wales Wink )
wellington womble

Gertie wrote:
Lincolnshire is a lovely county - with some beautiful properties.

Remember, folks, you normally get more for your money up this end of the country (listen, I'll do anything to get downsizer membership away from Essex/Wales Wink )

only as long as you don't want to live anywhere near the A1!

I've been (not very seriously, I admit) looking around there for a while. I don't necessarily want a lot of land - I'd be happy with a big garden and a small house we could extend later, but I want solitude. I'm fed up of listening to 27 lawnmowers all weekend! I'm sure there are places up there, but I promised I wouldn't look properly until we sold this place, otherwise I'll just be cross cos I missed out on a dream property!
pricey

[quote="Bugs"](I need more wood, and possibly a better climate) Question Portugal Very Happy
Goxhill

The climate isn't so bad - we're on the dry side of the country. It is a bit treeless though - although the Woodland Trust is based in Grantham which always seems a bit ironic to me!

Trying to place where it is - must have driven past it quite often.
Lloyd

Sounds like a good price for a Downsizer. Nice little plot too. Hope it sells well.
Lloyd

Hope this doesn't put people off, but is it at risk of flooding, being so close to the river?
hils

No where near the A1 - you have to drive to Grantham first!

Its on the edge of Sleaford, on the road to Skegness on your right. Sleaford is a mile away.

The river does flood but has never got into the house.

I don't think that Humberts will have taken pictures yet.

Yes she probably will haunt anyone who lives there - only if she doesn't like them. It is really beautiful and holds many many lovely childhood memories Smile
hils

Bugs wrote:

Just in case other people are interested, what do you mean by a "daytime" living room and does the proximity of the river have any advantages or disadvantages (thinking fishing, flooding, and people nosing from boats)

A room you would do work in in the day, its next to the kitchen, but not the dining room! We spent most of our time in there having a cuppa doing paper work etc.

See above re flooding.

The river Slea isn't navigated but the water ways people were trying to navigate it but my nan put a stop to it for various reasons. The river bed cracked in the draughts in the 70's and would take a hell of alot of money to raise the level to get anything but a rowing boat down - they'd have to go over a 8 ft waterfall first!

My nan did stock the river between the waterfall and 'end lock' with trout. But there was a bad chemical spillage a couple of years back which wiped most of them out. Things are back to normal now though.

H
hils

Ok got a map now!

Find Sleaford Lincolnshire.

There is a road (A153) going north from sleaford - the first turning right (which leads to Evedon) you can see a railway line crossing it then a river. Its on the bit where the first river you come to crosses the road.

Does that make any sense at all??!!! dontknow
hils

http://www.fastcropit.com/hugr/html/templates/details.cfm?id=hugr167793#

This is it - hope link works
hils

OK guys the sale has fallen through Evil or Very Mad

You know you want it!

Its empty and I know about everything there is to know about it now, good & bad.

Soil is amazing - like a shop brought bag of compost. 10ft green house - out buildings enough for work shops & stables. There's one that would be an amazing annex - 2 storey.

Is the hard sell working yet???

A walled garden perfect for veg (about 1/3 acre) same size garden. The other 1/3 acre of land is what the house & out buildings stand on.

There will be the opportunity to rent grazing land for horses from me. I will have approx 7 acres to let.

This IS a downsizers ideal opportunity to make a real go of things.

Hils
2steps

sounds loverly, not that far from me Smile
Lloyd

wow, that is SUCH a nice place!...Shame I'm not in the market to buy right now, I'd love it!....Good price, too. As you look out the door towards the river, what is the building on the right?
hils

Thats the water mill I'm doing up - but never to be converted into flats. There is a derelict cottage behind the mill that will eventually be lived in by moi

This is the front of the mill, I have designed the day to day living issues so that neither person will see the other from each building (does that make sense?)! The veg beds etc can't be seen from the house etc. Also the mill would never be lived in and planning would never let that happen so the house couldn't be looked over by the mill.

I'm going to stop typing and have a cuppa. I've just got up from my first lie in in 6 months! I'm not making sense yet!
RoryD

Looks amazing. Perfect. We're just not in a postion to move...
wellington womble

Himself is teetering (hes stuck in the south east, where you can add a zero for that kind of property!)

He wants to know how busy the railway is - gates don't bother us, but trains might!
jjojjas

This is a pain, I'm sure this won't make you feel better, but its exactly what I'm looking for .......but my house sale has just fell through (again!) and its just a little too far from Lincoln city where I need to be near.
Keep at it, I'm sure it will go soon enough. (hopefully mine will too)
Jas
wellington womble

Hils, is this still on the market? It's still on Humberts website as for sale, but you can't trust an estate agent.
hils

Yes still on market but nearly through on a sale. We've got to this stage before though and its gone through...not too sure about the people Sad
Jonnyboy

Wow, just looked at the pictures, looks like a wonderful spot!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home