Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
mark

House and Flats to let and a Website

Me and the Mrs have recently bought another house!

This time split in to 7 flats which we are renting out.

Its quite a risk to do it now in the present climate - but it seems an ethical way to invest the money from my wife's previous home now she lives with me. It feels better to provide roof over someone's head than invest in a pension fund, that makes its money investing in deep sea drilling or more dodgy stuff.

We already let out my previous house (my accommodation here goes with my job) - but previous tenants there recently did a runner and trashed the place ! I've worked hard and got it fixed up again . So that's up for let too.

So I now find myself with 3 unfilled one bed flats to let in Derby and a 4 bed house in Sheffield.

The first thing we have done is to kick out the tenancy management service and rental agency the previous Landlords used into touch as they were rubbish.

So I now need to get the property let - and meet the outgoings.
House in multiple occupation licence =£800 to council.
Insurance - don't even think about it - its massive!
Gas electric and council tax
Electrical safety inspection and improvements, another grand etc
and a whopping mortgage to boot!

Can't afford to sit around and do nothing.

I've used Elmleaf to get a To Let signs made. I've put them up. I've also made a web site here
http://derventio.org.uk

My wife has done a great job on the property forums and gumtree etc - and i've just been trying to get it on google maps property and submit the site to google and get a searchable site map etc

Anyway I'd really welcome anyone who has time taking a look at the website for me to see if it hits the right note!

Its been a quick and dirty build - so could take a lot of improvements - but i needed to get it online quick.

Its often hard to know when you are very involved - and its still a work in process so feedback would be really welcomed.

I wanted to get a blend of being friendly - but also looking credible and like we know what we are doing. I think we are both of those so its not just spin!

It would be great to if those of you who let property could say what works for you - and those of you who rent you home could say what you look for when you shop around ....

Thanks

mark.
Went

Hi Mark - I know it is potentially problematic but have you thought about contact the universities - they have accommodation bureaus that are always keen to have properties for students/ visiting staff - also maybe worth trying local hospitals who sometimes have medical staff on 1 or two year contracts who need housing.
mark

Well the website seems to have worked. Since we launched it we have found a tenant for the the house in Sheffield and also for one of the apartments in Derby. Just 2 vacant flats left now.

OK the website wasn't the only thing we did - but I'm sure it has played its part.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home