Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
earthyvirgo

House Insurance

After our house insurance claim fiasco with Tesco a little while back (which some of you might have heard us ranting about), we're looking for solid, reliable, not hideously expensive house insurance.

Any recommendations?
And, equally important, any apart from ****** Tesco who we should avoid at all costs.

EV
T.G

nfu
Marionb

Yep mines with the NFU too
earthyvirgo

...and they're OK for *ordinary* house owners?

EV
Marionb

earthyvirgo wrote:
...and they're OK for *ordinary* house owners?

EV

I think so... one of my friends insured her daughters car through then and she's not a farmer or smallholder.
12Bore

Hate to say it, but T**** were fantastic when we had a leak last but one Christmas eve and half the dining room ceiling came down....likewise their Greenflag cover when my rear wheel bearing siezed on the M6 Toll.........that said I won,t be renewing my car insurance with them coz the premium shot up last year Twisted Evil
mochyn

NFU Mutual have just got top rating from Which.
Cathryn

NFU

Good service when you need to claim as well.
shopgirlsue

We've had good service from Direct Line. Cheap and paid up without any hassle when we had a claim
gz

NFU Mutual- you can add on PL, Employers(small business), wirkshop and contents, goods in transit/in exhibition........... Cool

all this and you can deal with a Human Bean Very Happy (your nearest offices are Caernarfon and Llangefni)
bibbster

NFU for me too, my daughter dropped her phone and they paid up with no quibbles, paperwork, no proof other than 'please just drop the phone in when you are passing so we can file it' and not even sight of the original receipt! Cool
earthyvirgo

gz wrote:
NFU Mutual- wirkshop and contents, goods in transit/in exhibition........... Cool

That might be very useful, thanks for the heads-up gz.

EV
earthyvirgo

Have just spoken to NFU Llandudno branch (Caernarfon were a bit slow in responding because someone is on holiday).

Excellent, really detailed one-to-one service from Dave in Llandudno Smile

The first quote over the phone made me sit down very quickly but we're working (back and forth by email) on reducing it a bit with more realistic sums - looking better ... I think I might opt for their Homeworker cover too which will give me public liability, cover for my paintings and prints at home and in transit, laptop and recovery of lost data.

EV
Nicky cigreen

another vote for NFU here.

much cheaper than anyone else, and we are covered should our sheep or pigs decide to run about causing damage or a pile up on the road etc
Barefoot Andrew

Ooh, mine's up for renewal soon. Might check out NFU and its beans Very Happy
A.
earthyvirgo

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Ooh, mine's up for renewal soon. Might check out NFU and its beans Very Happy
A.

All sorted here now.
Very, very impressed. 'The business cover (Homeworker) would definitely be of interest to you BFA.
If you want to know what it covers, drop me a line.

EV
Barefoot Andrew

OK. I'll be sorting this out this week as mine renews a week today.
A.
earthyvirgo

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
OK. I'll be sorting this out this week as mine renews a week today.
A.

Will drop you a line shortly ...

EV
Barefoot Andrew

Diolch Very Happy
A.
Lorrainelovesplants

Having a meeting with NFU soon to increaseour insurance cover. I already have a homeworker policy. Would it be okay to have another for a second Business?(ie OH's business - same homebased location)
alison

I would suggest adding to your existing policy, rather than taking out a new one.

With the NFU you get a sliding scale discount on the following years premium, so the more discount, the older the policy. If you add to the existing you get the current discount. If you take out a new policy you start from scratch for that part.

We have various policies with them, and have had for years, but I wanted to rationalise them this year. If I had I would have had to start them all from scratch, and lose all discount, so I left them alone.
Lorrainelovesplants

Thanks Alison - good information!
earthyvirgo

... I can't praise them enough TBH.

We were starting fresh with them after the Tesco fiasco, so cost was more than I'd anticipated BUT I worked with the guy to bring it down as much as poss whilst still having the necessary cover.

Just before signing up, I asked if there was any way they could bring it down a fraction more to something closer to the sum I'd budgeted and they gave a couple of % further 'discount', that shouldn't have really applied till Year 2.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home