Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Mustang

House modification options - which do you prefer?

I've just got a new house. It was built in the late 1970's and hasn't really been updated since. It's still got the original carpets, kitchen, boiler, etc. Only the windows have been replaced with d-glazing.

The current internal layout is awkward and I am convinced it can be improved. It would make a nice family home. So the plan is to update it then sell it on within 12-18 months.

However, as I haven't done this before, I would love to get your opinion on how I could change it to make it more 'desirable' for a family.

So here are a few sketches of possible changes I could make.

0 - the current layout.

1 - open plan living

2 - larger open plan living

3 - extending outwards

4 - Major 2nd floor extension

I want to make make changes to maximise 'desirability' to a family whilst minimising spend. Would any of the ideas above appeal to you? Have you any other ideas?
Ty Gwyn

Presume you will be installing an RSJ where your knocking all them walls out downstairs?
Mustang

Yup ... will get a structural engineer to give me the correct loads and steel to put in after I figure out what I'm going to do. Don't want it falling down on me Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

Ive had 11 houses. Each one Ive lived in for around 2 years, bought cheap, did up and made a profit on when sold.
A big thing I kept in mind was what could I realistically sell it for. This goverened what alterations I would make. Dont overspend.
Eg - 2 bed & boxroom semi sandstone in des res suburb of Glasgow - bought from deceased estate. No CH, wooden leaking windows, original 1930's kitchenette.
So removed back boiler, remedial work on roof & chimney, block door from living room into dining room. Open dining room into kitchenette to create large dining kitchen. New gas CH, new DG & door. Upstairs take bit from large D bed to increase size of boxroom to full bed.
Did all this within first 3 months, cost £11K.
Rationale - no one wants seperate dining rooms, everyone likes big kitchens. CH & DG a must. Real fire a plus in this type of house/residential area.
People need to see they dont need to do work.
boisdevie1

Perhaps I missed it on your plans but how is the house orientated with regards to the sun?
My advice. Big sliding patio doors and lots of natural light.
OtleyLad

Ive had 11 houses. Each one Ive lived in for around 2 years, bought cheap, did up and made a profit on when sold.
A big thing I kept in mind was what could I realistically sell it for. This goverened what alterations I would make. Dont overspend.
Eg - 2 bed & boxroom semi sandstone in des res suburb of Glasgow - bought from deceased estate. No CH, wooden leaking windows, original 1930's kitchenette.
So removed back boiler, remedial work on roof & chimney, block door from living room into dining room. Open dining room into kitchenette to create large dining kitchen. New gas CH, new DG & door. Upstairs take bit from large D bed to increase size of boxroom to full bed.
Did all this within first 3 months, cost £11K.
Rationale - no one wants seperate dining rooms, everyone likes big kitchens. CH & DG a must. Real fire a plus in this type of house/residential area.
People need to see they dont need to do work.

That was my first thought - can you really get back the time/money you might put into it when the housing market is uncertain/flat?

I'd want to be a sure as I possibly could that if I put in £10K or whatever it was going to earn me a lot more (and don't forget the mortgage payments you will have put in between buying and selling too).
stumbling goat

What is the address of the new project?

sg
Behemoth

Keep the kitchen diner separate from the lounge. Have a utility room. Places to shut a door on the noise and the junk. If the kitchen diner can have doors onto the garden, even better.
Piggyphile

I agree with previous comments regarding the area and what is around you and even the size of the garden. No sense in having a 5 bed house on small plot surrounded by 3 bed houses. You could try asking opinions from a tame estate agent about the area and what is popular and selling at the moment (perhaps one that you used, or you could say you might use for the resale). Estate agents often have an input in all of those daytime property programs on TV.
Shan

My first thought is that you have too few bathrooms for the amount of bedrooms you have. I would prefer fewer bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms. So important when you have teenagers and guests. The kitchen should be big enough to get a dining table in it and as open plan and airy as possible.

Another point - I hate bathrooms that do NOT have windows.
Mistress Rose

For a family home it us useful to have more than one living room, so either have separate lounge and kitchen/diner or some other combination so there are two rooms. One for television, other for homework, childrens friends etc.

I would suggest en-suite bathrooms only where the value of the house justifies it. As others have said, no point in making a luxury house where there are basic ones all around.
Mithril

Keep the kitchen diner separate from the lounge. Have a utility room. Places to shut a door on the noise and the junk. If the kitchen diner can have doors onto the garden, even better.

I agree with this. I'm sure some people can be happy completely open plan but I'll bet the majority don't have kids or pets. Or maybe we're just really disorganised Neutral
Mustang

Thanks for all your feedback so far. The house is in a small, 'desirable' estate location. It has the largest and best plot around. None of the nearby houses which are peers to this one, has sold in the past 15 years so quite difficult to guage value. I've had estate agents around, and even they struggled.

The nearby houses have been extended over the years into 'executive family' type homes. The back garden catches all the available sun. It already has french doors from the lounge / diner, but I like the idea of folding doors to the rear, if it costs in.

I also believe that it has too few bathrooms for the current size. Therefore extending the upstairs bathroom and adding in an en-suite to at least one is one intention.

The utility room can be converted to a great 2nd lounge with a lick of paint.

Not sure if you noticed, but all the rooms on the left hand side - the single story area, are accessed via a single 'arch' from the hallway. This means that side could act as a granny flat or a teenager 'flat'. Is this something that is very desirable for a family house, or would it be better to integrate that side into the rest via the boiler room?

I am very aware of spend, and need to focus on returns for whatever I do. But I beliieve this house has potential for increasing in value with the correct upgrade. I just need to figure out what that is, as there are many options right now.
Shan

Marketing it as a grannyflat/annexe as a possible rental income opportunity could be useful, especially in these economic times.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home