Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Falstaff

How can I tell ?

Whether this 'ere can is full of petrol - or 2 stroke ? Embarassed

(If it's petrol I can cut the grass Laughing )

If it's 2 stroke I can cut some logs for the fire ! Cool

Bungo

Pour a bit in a jamjar. Is it tinged red or green ? If so it has 2 stroke oil in it though at what ratio is anybodies guess Smile
Hairyloon

Putting two stroke fuel in a four stroke engine is unlikely to cause any lasting harm, certainly a lot less than four stroke fuel in a two stroke engine...
Alternatively, add oil: at worst you'll end up with a 25:1 mix. Instead of 50:1.
Falstaff

Pour a bit in a jamjar. Is it tinged red or green ? If so it has 2 stroke oil in it though at what ratio is anybodies guess Smile

Ah Logic ! Cool

Sadly, when you're dealing with someone who is red /green colourblind and uses whatever old oil happens to be lying about to mix 2-stroke with, logic such as this tends to fall down in the face of imperfection on the part of the operative ! Sad
Falstaff

Alternatively, add oil: at worst you'll end up with a 25:1 mix. Instead of 50:1.

Yup - that's what I thought too ! Even found some genuine 2 stroke oil to add to the mix. Sadly the only oil I could find for the "chain oiler" was 10-40 semi-synthetic (which still had the price stuck on the bottle) Shocked Mad

Anyway, now have enough logs to get through a few days even if the saw ran pretty sick.

It seemed to run best (but not right) when the unit was held dead level.

Somebody's obviously had a bit of bother with it in the past and I bought it second hand a few months ago. The dead man's handle has been bypassed and the stopper button doesn't work either . It's a little Stihl btw.

Any ideas ?
oldish chris

t It's a little Stihl btw. Is that a euphemism? (Just that I've been called something similar Wink ) Mistress Rose

Sounds as if you need to thoroughly overhaul the saw; the first job being to get the dead mans handle going again. As far as the red/green goes, is there nobody else to tell you the colour? Nick

Doesn't matter if it's red or green. Either suggest oil. Hairyloon

Doesn't matter if it's red or green. Either suggest oil.
I've had purple two stroke before, but old petrol can develop a tinge by itself, so I wouldn't necessarily trust a colour to mean it has oil.
dpack

mend saw ,get clean fule

if the machine is iffy, esp the brakes,it wont be safe or easy to cut wood.

older stihl do have a good reputation for easy mend
Hairyloon

* fuel
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home