Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Bugs

How can I tell if an energy saving bulb is Self-ballast

Google is not being my friend on this one Sad

We need to identify whether the energy saving bulbs we have fit this description:

"Max 20w self-ballast energy saving bulb"

The bulbs we have are Philips Genie WW 827 (E27 fitting, I don't think that bit matters Confused ). I suspect they may have from free from the gas or elec boards if that helps so someone out there may have the very same.

Where I can find this bulb sold it doesn't describe it as self-ballasted - is there any way to tell? Or if it's not described as such, would it not be, so we would need to look for another one?

Any advice would be appreciated Smile
sean

I think (from a quick google) that if it's got all its own electronics so it will just plug into a standard socket then it's self-ballasted.
Bugs

In to a standard light socket? Not wall socket? I know that's a daft question but well, it's me.

I've been musing about the Philips site but they seem to be denying the existence of these ones.
oldish chris

sean wrote:
I think (from a quick google) that if it's got all its own electronics so it will just plug into a standard socket then it's self-ballasted.

correct me if I'm wrong - typical strip lights (as in a 4 ft tube) fit into a long metal box that contains a 6inch long heavy black box that contains the "ballast". If it fits into a typical bayonet socket (or the alternative, but same size, screw fitting) it is self ballasting. The big bit of plastic, between the bayonet and the little tubes, contains the ballast.
RichardW

Nearly all low energy ones are self ballasted. The ones that are not are the 4 pin ones the D & O shaped ones mainly.

If it fits in a normal bulb holder (push & twist) or screw (large & small) G10 ect its ballasted.
sean

oldish chris wrote:
sean wrote:

If it fits into a typical bayonet socket (or the alternative, but same size, screw fitting) it is self ballasting. The big bit of plastic, between the bayonet and the little tubes, contains the ballast.

Yep. I didn't express myself clearly. Sorry.
Treacodactyl

Thanks for the comments. I assume the instructions are a red herring then as the lamp insists it's an E27 ES bulb then by the sounds of it it must be a self-ballasted bulb. Rather a pointless thing to state as none of the bulbs seem to mention they are self-ballasted either.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home