Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Nicky Colour it green

how do you know when pears are ready to pick?

we moved last year so inherited a pear tree. lots of small pears.. they have gone a bit red.. some are falling. jackdaws are eating them on the tree Crying or Very sad
I know you are sposed to pick pears hard and let them ripen indoors... so how do you know if they are ready to be picked?
RichardW

Cos the jackdaws start eating them, or in our case cos the goats get in & eat them.Same as our cob nut trees. the day before we decided to pick them the squirels do pick them.

Justme
dougal

Seems a bit early yet... (dunno about the Devon bit, but start of August seems very early to me)
... however there's no harm in sampling them to see just how rock hard, fibrous and sharp-tasting they are! (You won't poison yourself.)

Apples drop some fruit early, famously the "June drop" - but it isn't only in June, and I think Pears are somewhat similar. You may be able to cook the fallers to make something of them - I do with apples but have never tried with pears.

As with apples, it depends on the variety as to whether, or for how long, the crop should be stored to mature to its prime. But there's no point in picking before the crop is edible.
tahir

There are pears which would be ready to pick now, like apples the early ones don't keep at all, a matter of days before they turn to inedible mush. When to pick? There must be a way of doing this reliably but I've not managed it yet. It depends on seasonal variation and variety so much that you've really got to know your trees and location well to do it right.
cab

You'll know in a year or two. Really, its hard to tell with pears. They'll start falling off the tree and then you'll be more sure.

At the moment its either late fruit drop (the trees thinning itself out, shedding fruit that it isn't going to bother with) or its a really early variety.

Take a few pears off the tree, keep 'em on a window ledge for a few days, if they're ripe they'll start to soften. Unless its a cooking variety, then it might just stay hard...
tahir

cab wrote:
Take a few pears off the tree, keep 'em on a window ledge for a few days, if they're ripe they'll start to soften. Unless its a cooking variety, then it might just stay hard...

Some of the early ones will rot internally before they're discernibly ripe externally, aroma is a good key once they're picked. And of course like you say culinary pears add another spanner in the works.

For most home growers I'd recommend Conference or Concorde, both are edible quite early, can be delicious at the crisp stage and have a long window of tastiness before they turn to brown mush..
Nicky Colour it green

thanks for the replies.

when is normal time for pears? or is that a how long is a piece of string kinda question?
I asked the previous owner about the varieties of fruit trees and she was very helpful. but she did only describe the pear as 'bluddy useless'.....
tahir

colour it green wrote:
when is normal time for pears?

August to November
gil

You want at least some of the pears to be the full-size for that kind of pear before you do the main harvest.

For example, here in Scotland, I grow Beurre Hardy pears, which ripen to be big enough to pick in November, though they are never that huge. I then store them until they start to soften for culinary use.
dougal

tahir wrote:
colour it green wrote:
when is normal time for pears?

August to November

Particularly Sept/Oct, IMHO, for garden fruit.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home