Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
callas

How do you measure ingredients?

Just wondered how everyone measured their ingredients when cooking?

I grew up with my mother using spoonfuls and cups. I tend to do the same. Now that the metric system is here to stay does anyone still use ozs?

I have also started to write a recipe book of the food I cook to hand on down the family. Anyone else doing this?
tahir

Never measured anything*, don't bake the missus does that, she uses all sorts; scales, cups, spoons etc

*Apart from rice where any volume measure will do, you just need double the volume of liquid to rice to cook by evaporation.
Gertie

Generally when cooking I judge quantities. When making jams and chutneys I use my imperial scales. Metric really bamboozles me Confused

When serving spirits I use the 'finger' measure, normally get the guest with the fattest fingers to pour the measures! Laughing
Gertie

Nearly forgot! Yes, I do have a lot old old favourite recipes, which I have written down. One of my favourite recipes is from my 82 year old uncle who makes the best cakes ever!!!!!!!
cab

I'm happy to swap between metric and imperial, but out of preference I prefer coopking in imperial. That's odd for someone my age, I guess (I'm a metric era person), but I find the imperial system of weights much more intuitive (16 divides down better than 1000).

I also use cups to measure, where such are appropriate. Rice, as Tahir mentioned, and flour and water for making bread, we always measure with cups.
sean

I use whatever the recipe uses for baking things.
Generally I don't measure stuff unless it's a complex recipe or very different from anything I've cooked before.
nettie

I prefer Imperial too when following recipes, but when I make up my own, the official units of weight are dollops, splats, glugs and sprinkles Very Happy

As to writing stuff down, I do it for my own benefit rather than anyone else's because I can never remember anything!
pink bouncy

I was taught in kilos and meters at school but I still use pounds and ounces and yards. Funny huh? Confused
jema

I interchange metric and imperial quite a lot when I do measure, but then aside from wine making I rarely do measure.
judith

I'm pretty ambidextrous between imperial/metric/volume, but like lots of people I only really measure for baking.

I like the sound of Nettie's measuring system. Might give that a try for a week or two Very Happy.
wellington womble

I do generally measure, and I prefer weights (how do you measure a cup of butter?!) I can work in either metric or imperial, but not both together, I usually use metric because then I can weigh the water (especially handy for the breadmaker). I only use imperial these days when messing about with recipes and its easier on the old brain to double or half ounces!

I can work in feet or metres, but not yards, but I can only do temperature in deg C. I'm better at inches than cm. I'm a bit of a hybrid, really!
Bernie66

I broke the only kitchen scales in the house a few years ago and have been guestimating what a certain weight looks like ever since. 90% of recipies seem to taste ok so it's amazed me that exact proportions are not as crucial as certain chefs would have us believe. I think ratio is more crucial than weight and even that is more hazy than one would be led to believe.
Pilsbury

I was looking around Microsoft works the other day and they have a per laid out recipe page so I intend to fill in all the recipes i have collected and probably print and laminate them to make my own Keepsake recipe book.
as for mesuring i only weigh out pastry and dessert ingrediants as i find them more temperamental in cooking. (and i am rubbish at pastry stuff, must practice more)
moogie

pink bouncy wrote:
I was taught in kilos and meters at school but I still use pounds and ounces and yards. Funny huh? Confused

I am exactly the same. Couldn't guess how far a metre is but could easily estimate a yard or a foot. I only know how tall I am in feet and inches and as for weight, I know it in stone and pounds but haven't got a clue in kilos. Everytime I try and work it out it ends up anywhere between about 30 kilos and 100 kilos. Neither of which are right Shocked Clearly not too good at maths along with the metric system Laughing
Bernie66

same here, i was taught in metric-just but cannot use it for any sort of estimation.As soon as i started work i was working in "old money", it has stuck and "old dog new tricks" and all that (in my case anyway)
dougal

I'm happy with metric or imperial BUT the damn yanks seem to love their "cups". I don't.

Fed up with Su Doku? Too easy? Try converting an American recipe, in cups, to "bakers' percentages".... aaaaarghh!
ButteryHOLsomeness

wellington womble wrote:
I do generally measure, and I prefer weights (how do you measure a cup of butter?!) !

in the states butter comes in long square 'tubes' the wrappers have markings on them for tablespoons and 1 stick half a cup if i remember correctly! you get 4 sticks of butter per box... to measure butter though simply pack in softened butter into you cup making a note of approx how much of your 250g packaged you used. then next time just use that much of a package and be done with it Wink

i use both but i would wouldn't i? i had to make some major adjustments for cooking when i moved here and prior to finding american measuring cups and having a set of scales i had some horrible mishaps with baking Laughing

i prefer american cups because you don't have to weigh anything. a cup of flour is the same as a cup of oil or butter or nuts etc.

i save my scales for weighing up my items for sale on ebay Wink

i do use british imperial and metric as well as american measurements, it depends on what the recipe is however most of my recipes have either come from american based cookbooks or the internet where most recipes are by the american standards.

most things i just toss in though...don't ask me to give you my recipes for anything, it causes me angst trying to remember or quantify what goes into what i cook Laughing
ButteryHOLsomeness

moogie wrote:
pink bouncy wrote:

I am exactly the same. Couldn't guess how far a metre is but could easily estimate a yard or a foot. I only know how tall I am in feet and inches and as for weight, I know it in stone and pounds but haven't got a clue in kilos. Everytime I try and work it out it ends up anywhere between about 30 kilos and 100 kilos. Neither of which are right Shocked Clearly not too good at maths along with the metric system Laughing

Laughing Laughing

i'm not too bad with metres as i simply think of yards plus 3 inches! i am quite conversant with stones/weight in pounds (though you can see the cogs in my brain churning whilst i do my mental caluclations) and i'm not too bad at translating between F and C for temperatures as long as i don't have to be precise but i'll be damned if i can manage cm and mm. i know that 2.5 cm is an inch and 10 cm is 4 inches but when i see measurements at ikea and such like my eyes roll and i have to break out the calculator Laughing
Gervase

I rather like the cup system - I got a set of steel cup measures from John Lewis a while back when I was trying out some American recipes and I was converted. Liquid or solid, you just scoop it up with the cup and (providing the recipe's accurate) you've got the right quantity.
Otherwise I'm stolidly Imperial. So much so that I was aghast a while back when I asked someone to work out the price per foot of Christmas trees at various outlets and she confessed that she had no idea what a foot was (no filthy jokes, guys, please!). This was an English graduate in her mid twenties, but she had been educated entirely in the metric system, and to her the foot was as alien as the cubit.
One thing that does strike me as odd, though, is the continuing use of miles-per-gallon in car comparisons, when petrol hasn't been sold in gallons for yonks.
Deedee

I normally work in 'old money' too lb's and oz's and definately use inches and yards when sewing.I suppose as I use a lot of the U.S sites for baking and sewing that's why??I have a set of cups too but frequently use dollops and chunks also Laughing
Behemoth

My OH had a similar thing on her uni course when some of her fellow students (who are still children really) struggled with a measurement in feet (they knew their height in feet and inches though) mind you when she went over to metric their estimations of metres were so vague as to be useless.

I tend to measure in metric but can adapt as we were taught both.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Keyword Advertising Home Home Home