Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Rob R

How do you solve a problem like the 'Beefalo'?

Quote:
When bison were cross-bred with domestic cattle, a hybrid dubbed the "Beefalo" was spawned. But the creatures escaped and are now causing environmental havoc in The Grand Canyon. Some want a cull, but is this the best way to deal with the animals?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Is eating them not an option?
Ty Gwyn

Back in the 60`s when they tried this experiment cross in Alberta Canada they called them Cattalo,they were a cross between a Hereford and Bison.

Do you have a photo of the Beefalo to compare with the one i have of the Cattalo?
Nick

The bit I liked most about the whole article, apart from the cuteness of the beast, is it was written by A. Bullock.
tahir

The bit I liked most about the whole article, apart from the cuteness of the beast, is it was written by A. Bullock.

Didn't notice that Laughing

What the article doesn't explain is whether the environmental impact is any different to that of bison, and whether the absence of predators may exacerbate the problem.

Simple solution does seem to be beefalo burger
dpack

bow,knife,wind ,sun= jerky
NorthernMonkeyGirl

We should get a flight over and offer to help them out Laughing
Mistress Rose

Sounds as if they need culling or moving. The meat could be usefull too.
mochyn

Where's Martin Jerkymeister when you need him? ;0
Rob R

Where's Martin Jerkymeister when you need him? ;0

Probably in America
mal55

It's similar to the problem over here of Sika deer cross pollinating the Fallow (or is it Roe) deer. They are culling no end of them. Sadly it doesn't seem to be bringing down the price of venison locally. Treacodactyl

Sika will cross with Red deer, not Fallow or Roe AFAIK. dpack

the best response to black tail roe (as a problem imported species )is recipes Wink

not bad in stew and ace as jerky

Laughing

spose hybrid ones might have a similar solution
Ty Gwyn

After seeing the photo,there has been a lot of Bison crossing going on since these escaped,they are virtually back to the Bison source.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home