Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Nicky cigreen

how long will you let a broody be broody?

assuming you want to use her rather than break her - how long would you let her sit, or would you judge it on her appearance?
chez

Appearance. But in reality, probably a few days until I was sure she was set. And then try and get them under her within another week after that.

(I have broody cream legbar, did I say? Very determined Smile )
Woodburner

If I know one's been sitting for three weeks already, I wouldn't take the risk, at least, not with eggs. (I generally hatch in incy then foster to broody.)

Hmm it's a bit of a piece of string question really. Some are rubbish anyway, some just don't know when to stop! Moving one to suitable accomodation is the acid test. I get mine used to being in a cardboard box in their usual broody spot first, then move them box and all to where I want them to raise the chicks. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Nicky cigreen

i have this broody cuckoo marans and she has been sitting for 3 weeks already - I've tried to break her but she found some other eggs to sit on. so settled her down again. then decided she was in the wrong coop so moved her - including walking the long way around clutching said chicken.

still flat and brooding that salt cellar* determinedly. I fear she wont give up until she has some chicks - that's 2 weeks away at best, and I wanted to use the other broody I have....

(my son got given a set a few Easters ago - an egg cup and a salt cellar shaped like an egg. He doesn't add salt so gave it to me.... waste not want not an all that....)
Woodburner

She does sound determined! Laughing It would be a bit of a shame (and s*d's law) if she gives up before the chicks arrive. If you've already got eggs 'cooking' in an incy, I wouldn't bother with giving her any more. IF she's still sitting when they hatch, you can foster them to her. tbh this is my preferred method. You can put more chicks under her than she could have hatched too. Cool
Nicky cigreen

She does sound determined! Laughing It would be a bit of a shame (and s*d's law) if she gives up before the chicks arrive. If you've already got eggs 'cooking' in an incy, I wouldn't bother with giving her any more. IF she's still sitting when they hatch, you can foster them to her. tbh this is my preferred method. You can put more chicks under her than she could have hatched too. Cool

yes it is my preferred method too - it is what I normally do. But I have 2 broodies, and would prefer to use the other one (tried and tested and not been sat as long) if these eggs hatch, so was wondering if I could let the cuckoo marans sit even longer for something else.... or whether I ougt to use her with these chicks - but she will have been sitting for 5 weeks by then.. etc
Woodburner

Ah! In that case, I'd give the chicks to the tried and trusted one, and give some not too precious eggs to the new one to try her out. When the incy chicks hatch, keep them away from her, or the sound of cheeping may make her leave her nest.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home