Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sean

How long would a softish meringue keep?

We're going up to that London for Christmas. I'm cooking dinner for my mum's birthday (Boxing Day). I was thinking about doing Nigella's lemon curd pavlova for pudding. Does the downsizer collective cookery brain reckon I could cook the meringue in advance on say 22nd/23rd and take it up in a cake tin?
Nick

I would say yes, but I am not a proper merengologist.
sean

I reckon you're right though despite your lack of qualifications. So, make gil's lemon curd and meringue on 23rd and assemble on 26th it is. Obviously if it turns out toxic or horrible I shall blame you.
Nick

That's fine.
dpack

remember to pack it securely in the tin,i recon a "driven merangue" might be a bit like a boxer's brain.

iirc a tinned softish one will last a week,very dry and crispy are long life (well maybe a month)

with either damp is your enemy and will make them go rather chewy
sean

Chewy's OK for pavlova anyway. Good to have someone else to blame as well as Nick though. Wink
Rusticwood

If it's left anywhere near me it won't last long at all tongue8 tongue8 Laughing
cir3ngirl

If it's left anywhere near me it won't last long at all tongue8 tongue8 Laughing

This was my thinking too Laughing
dpack

Laughing perhaps make two ,just to test if it is ok .
wellington womble

Do a trial run. Make one today and drive it round for a few days to see how it is. I was forced to do this with chocolate chestnut cake to see if it freezes ok.

My opinion is that it will be fine. But I think meringue starts off inedible anyway.
otatop

How long is the drive? Pavlova freezes well.
sean

North Devon to that London.
otatop

In that case I would have thought that 5/6ish hours would defrost it nicely from frozen. Just pack it carefully. Will there be a Labrador in the car?
sean

No to the lab, and the springer's going to kennels. I think I'll still assemble it on site though. I don't want everything to bleed together and I'm not sure about freezing lemon curd. Plus we're traveling Thursday and eating it on Saturday.
dpack

flat pack meringue seems a good way to go.
wellington womble

I've frozen lemon curd with no problems, but I would go with assembly on site as well.
sean

This worked fine. The meringue wasn't really softish, I forgot it was in the oven and baked it for about three hours.

The remains are in my brother's freezer, so I'll find out how the freezing works in a while.
sean

Freezing worked too. (Not for months, just forgot to add the update.)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home