Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sueshells

How Many Buttons........?

.........make a set?

I have a big box of brand new buttons which I bought to add to craft things. I've never got round to the craft things (or even identified what they might be) so I figured I would sell these buttons, in lots, on eBay - maybe five or 10 sets in a lot. They vary in size and I suspect that bigger buttons would need fewer to make a set and smaller more. So what am I looking at? Ten small ones, eight medium, six large? I am thinking cardigan type garments. Or should I not worry and just divide them up? (I may have many hundreds - they are alleged to come from a defunct knitwear factory making high end designer stuff. Most of them are what I would call "organic" colours and would go well with natural wool shades).
powerjen

Alot of crafters would perhaps be interested in a mix of different sized buttons in a similar colour way, maybe you could do them by complimentary colour rather than size? As for how many in a set... not sure, maybe you could do them by a rough weight and just offer a small bagful in a nice organza bag tied with a button?

Otherwise if you wanted to do them as a matching set and make them look fancy (i.e. so you can charge more for them Wink ), how about printing out a smart button card and selling them that way?

http://papercraftinspirations.themakingspot.com/blog/free-download-vintage-button-cards
cir3ngirl

Just one Button for me. Jenson
Lorrainelovesplants

Explain to me crafting using buttons......
I looked at the Kirsty link, but dont get what you would use odd buttons for?
I have inherited a lot of buttons from mum and was just going to bin them, but if they are worth something then perhaps I should sell them.
Is there a market for buttons?
powerjen

If you're needing inspiration...

http://pinterest.com/barbara0101/button-crafts/
Lorrainelovesplants

Shocked

Dont know that Im a button person, but the link was certainly eye-opening. I actually hate touching them - dont know why - but a jar full of buttons just turns my stomach for some reason.

Same kind of feeling as emptying the sink of jammy knives, chucked in teabags and food scraps.... puke_l

But, will have a looky on ebay and see if people want to pay for selections of buttons.....
Nicky cigreen

I like buttons. I recently approached a charity shop that had a big tin of buttons with a price per button and asked how much f i were to buy the whole tin.

she said £25. Suffice to say the button tin is still in the charity shop (I didn't haggle!)

just to give you an idea of worth
Lorrainelovesplants

Shocked
Woodburner

Ditto what lorraine said!
You can buy an awful lot of your choice of brand new buttons for £25.
sueshells

If you're needing inspiration...

http://pinterest.com/barbara0101/button-crafts/

Damn! Now I am thinking I will save my buttons for a time when I actually use them for something.......probably sometime after the next Ice Age.
sueshells

Alot of crafters would perhaps be interested in a mix of different sized buttons in a similar colour way, maybe you could do them by complimentary colour rather than size? As for how many in a set... not sure, maybe you could do them by a rough weight and just offer a small bagful in a nice organza bag tied with a button?

Otherwise if you wanted to do them as a matching set and make them look fancy (i.e. so you can charge more for them Wink ), how about printing out a smart button card and selling them that way?

http://papercraftinspirations.themakingspot.com/blog/free-download-vintage-button-cards

Some nice ideas here - thank you.
sueshells

I like buttons. I recently approached a charity shop that had a big tin of buttons with a price per button and asked how much f i were to buy the whole tin.

she said £25. Suffice to say the button tin is still in the charity shop (I didn't haggle!)

just to give you an idea of worth

I have old buttons, sorry - I have VINTAGE SHABBY CHIC buttons also.....as with everything else, I have quite a few.

I can resist everything etc., etc..
pookie

ooh dear I have a weakness for buttons.....who's selling what and how much? Embarassed sueshells

I have about a million in a big box and lots of plastic bags (the bags are in the box) - but I think they are all a bit boring - they are very "tasteful" in shades of grey, brown, ecru etc.. Nice quality buttons though. Of course I may just keep them - it's not as if the box is too big.

I might keep the wool as well - won't be able to afford to post it anyway when RM's new 8cm small, 8cm+ medium, parcel rates come in.
powerjen

I moved into a house a few years ago where the lady who lived there was a seamstress... I got the house with its contents.

I had to downsize and gave so much stuff to charity shops - that included tonnes of buttons, wool, threads... I try not to think about it until I see posts like this! but I do wish looking back that I'd managed to keep it all (I did keep some stuff though).

You never know when you might want to start crafting with the stuff you have and you'd make more money making them into 'something' rather than just sell the buttons as they are (if you have the luxury of time etc to do it of course, which most of us don't!). Ideal world and all that! Rolling Eyes
cir3ngirl

My friend used buttons to make her wedding bouquet last year.
Finsky

Wow...you friend must LOOOOVE buttons Laughing
I like buttons and have hoarded some over the years, my problem is that when I get my hands on for some nice ones..I don't actually want to use them Rolling Eyes ..feels like waste of good buttons Embarassed Laughing ..and particularly if you are giving/selling that item away with the buttons.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home