Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Claire70

how many comfrey plants?

I have a big garden since moving last year and finally have space for some comfrey. Can anyone tell me how many I should buy? Is 5 enough, or should I get 10? I have the space for 10, but there's no point buying 10 if 5 will be enough for general purposes. And obviously I can propagate eventually if I decide I don't have enough. So should I splash out and get 10, or is it not worth it?
Behemoth

One and then you'll have lots.
earthyvirgo

One and it'll self seed in year two.

Year 2, you'll have 50 Smile

EV
madcat

Get the Bocking 14 variety I think you can buy it from the Organic gardening catalogue. This one doesn't seed everywhere and is propagated by root division. I have the ordinary stuff,its a bit of a thug and gets about the garden a bit.It was here when we moved in.
wildfoodie

no such thing as too much comfrey.... liquid feed and compost accelerator, great for bumble bees when in flower, old leaves and midseason 'haircuttings' can help as a soil mulch or incorpoated into the compost heap to soak up grass clippings; and if you're that way inclined the very young, pre flowering leaves are edible as a pot green or pancake battered and fried. I'd go for a couple of plants, but aim to divide and increase your stock over the next few years. How much you'll need depends on what you're doing on the rest of the patch: liquid feed for hungry crops - one good sized plant will produce enough stinky but nutritious tea for ( say 20 toms, 2 cucs and 3 squash plants. ) I tip any excess tea onto the compost heap. If you want it for lining a 2m spud trench, 5 cucurbit planting holes and 20 tom pots, maybe get another plant.
one thing tho, plant it in its forever resting place - it's impossible to move cleanly. Last year I moved a veg bed because of the comfrey temporarily planted there some years ago...
Treacodactyl

no such thing as too much comfrey....

Agree with wildfoodie. You can just get a few plants and propagate it but then it'll be a year or two longer before you have a large patch and it's very useful.

I also agree with the comments about planting it, if you ever need to move it you'll always leave some behind which will grow up through whatever you plant in its place.
yummersetter

I've planted mine about 18 inches apart which seems to be perfect - my bed hasn't been rampant at all ( Bocking14s) and its been there for fifteen years. I'd say get enough to plant out at that spacing or a bit more in your comfrey bed area.
Midland Spinner

It's one of those plants that even if you dig it all out you'll still have too much!
T.G

Everyone complains that the comfrey runs riot, however, Iíll buck the trend our comfrey would be welcome to run riot in its bed but so far has been disinclined to do so and is more or less the same size, it's been in that bed 3 seasons.

However, we do crop it regularly through the growing period so that might be a reason..
Midland Spinner

T.G. We have that problem with Mint - I'd love it to spread.
Finsky

Comfrey don't run riot untill you disturb it..try to dig one out and you have 10 coming up afterwards.
It is those bits of roots that you leave behind that make into new plants.
..unless you have seed producing comfrey.. Shocked ..you might end up with comfrey forest.
Claire..just think carefully where you plant your comfrey..you only need to plant it once and you will always have it there..
Nicky Colour it green

i did get a nice dark green dyeing using comfrey - so a mass of it would go down well. we seem to just have the one plant.

T.G

we planted comfrey on purpose,, will dig the darn thing up roughly and replant and see
Nell Merionwen

one! and don't buy it. Search waste ground!

note to self...Ask ex boss to dig up some of my old plans before site shuts....
earthyvirgo

I can pot some up for you Nell.

EV
Nell Merionwen

EV

yes please, and is it still ok to have a clemetis cutting?
earthyvirgo

EV

Yup, I''ve got rather a nice one in a pot, flower's are a bit like a passion flower.

EV
Nell Merionwen

EV

Yup, I''ve got rather a nice one in a pot, flower's are a bit like a passion flower.

EV

yes please, if that's ok Cool Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home