Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
arvo

How many PV panels is enough?

I saw this and several things occurred to me.

1) have they missed the point in the whole 'reduce' part of the 3 R's?
2) are we looking a picture of the future? NY is only a little south of us latitude wise, is this possible in southern parts of the UK, especially if we start to warm up and get more direct sun?
3) how much money did they have to throw at that solar array? Smile Jealousy's a deadly sin, right? Or coveting your neighbours panel?
RichardW

I am sooo disapointed in this thread.

I was all ready to quote some stats, ask questions & give advice.

Mutter mutter mutter

In fact they dont seem to have that many.

The top row are solar thermal (hot water)

It looks like about 35-40 panels of about 100 watts each. Thats only 4kw. We have 1.2kw & use less than 3kwh per day. In june & july thats 100% solar provided but in nov dec jan feb I will be lucky to get 2 or 3 days worth all month.

I would assume that they would be getting about 2800kwh per year (prob more but thats about the UK number). Thats an average of 7.6kwh per day. Hardly excessive.

In a year they produced about 70kwh more than they used. I bet in the summer they were selling loads & in the winter buying loads. Thats one of the good things about a grid connected system (but not in this country as we dont use "net metering" & have to sell cheap & buy dear).

Richard
HenX

I think the article also mentions that the house itself is in Boulder, Colorado. I think that's quite a bit further south than the UK (although someone with a better geography than me may correct me!!)

They probably get a fair bit more sun, and snow as well. hmmm, why have we chosen the UK?
vegplot

The London is on the same latitude as Nova Scotia so Colorado is more than few degrees further south.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home