Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Tavascarow

How much do you pay......

to have your pigs butchered?
Our local slaughter house are very reasonable for killing & splitting, £20.00 a pig. I know they will butcher as well, although I don't know what they charge.
We have used a friends butcher for the last seven pigs, & last time he said he would have to put up his prices, but they have almost doubled this time & I'm curious as to what others pay.
He does a good job, all vac packed & labelled but by the time we pay him, the slaughter house & transport it's costing us about £100.00 a pig before we even factor in feed costs!!
Rob R

The last time I had some done I paid £158 for 3 pigs, killed and butchered, no packing. Vac-packing and labelling is a time consuming job, so I'd say it's about right.
Nick

I think 38p per kilo
chicken feed

kill, cut bagged and labeled £45

if we have any go for bacon its a extra £96 but that includes vac packing.
Tavascarow

We have some ham & bacon being cured, which will cost extra.
Thanks for the replies.
Seeing the differences in prices here makes me think it might be worth looking around locally.
Rob R

Cheapest isn't necessarily best, of course. Proximity & quality of the job done are important considerations worth paying for.
chicken feed

Cheapest isn't necessarily best, of course. Proximity & quality of the job done are important considerations worth paying for.

quiet
Rob R

quiet

Is that a typo are am I being silenced? Smile
chicken feed

quiet

Is that a typo are am I being silenced? Smile

ooooops its this blasted computer it seems to be on predictive or something like i will get round to sorting it out .........some time Laughing
Lloyd

Relative to the supermarket options, I think that actually for a small producer, cost is all important, and distance and quality in the current market place would be, I imagine, very very secondary. Rob R

It depends whether you value your local facilities or not. Part of the reason so many facilities have been lost is because people shop around for the cheapest, and the cheapest is not always the best. Also the cost can soon be eaten up by a few more miles on the journey, if you're travelling once to take the animals, once to deliver trays/collect offal, and another time to collect meat. If you go an extra 10 miles to a cheaper abattoir that's the equivalent of an extra 60 miles to pay the fuel and time for. Nick

Once you let cost take priority over quality you may as well give up. Additionally, not everyone produces commercially. Bodger

Where we live, its the four hour round trip to the nearest slaughter house doing pigs that's the real killer.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home