Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sean

How much does getting a wall built cost roughly?

The weather has finally done for our garden fence so it all needs replacing. Has anyone got a rough idea what a 4' tall 60' long brick wall would cost including foundations?
Obviously I'd need to get quotations locally but if a ball-park figure is out of our reach then I can avoid wasting my and some builders time.
johnc

Rough estimate between £55 and £90 per square meter depending on the area you are in
sean

Thanks. Even the bottom end of that is outside our budget. Time for a different plan I think.
Treacodactyl

You can get half an idea easily by working out how many bricks you'll need and getting an online price for them. You're looking at something like 1500 bricks so a cost of around £1000 just for bricks.
sean

Arr. Plus labour and whatnot. Unless I can find a cheap second-hand wall on ebay I think it's off the agenda. I'd thought it probably would be.
Ty Gwyn

If it has`nt got to be brick,9in hollow concrete blocks would be cheaper,roughly 250 blocks including pillars.

Brickie price for laying used to be near enough same as block price,price for cutting out and laying foundations depends greatly on ground conditions and access,of course if you can sort that part of the job the price will be greatly reduced.

Onemanband is more on the ball to give a more accurate price.
Mistress Rose

We have a concrete block wall using the ones with shapes in. Ours is more of less a diamond in the middle, with triangles in the 4 corners or a square block. You can see through them, but not too much, and they are easy to place, so you could perhaps even do it yourself. I think you can buy the moulds, so you can even cast your own blocks.

Alternatives are fence (we have had a chain link one up for over 30 years in a windy position) or hedge, or combination.
Falstaff

You certainly used to be able to buy those moulds MR. I bought a few at auction once.

Alternatively, it sounds like an opportunity to learn a new skill ! Bricklaying really isn't that hard if you take your time and make up a couple of "End posts" with nails knocked in them so you can put your string line up at each course.
sean

Chain link with some stuff growing up/through it is looking like the likely option.
dpack

what they said

i recon chainlink with annual climbers developing into perennial climbers / hedge is a much cheaper alternative

fence and runner beans ,cucumbers etc etc >brambles roses hazels etc etc etc

i did a few like that after the "no hurricane"in london and it is cheapish,wind resistant,private and edible Wink
dpack

snap posts Laughing
onemanband

Lots of variables but ball park for a proper job.....
Yes 1500 bricks, but would be best 9inch wide so 3000 bricks or somewhere inbetween if 4inch wide with piers..........
plus foundations, muck away, mortar, copings etc...........
That's £2500-£4000 materials
So many variables with labour ....£2000-£4000

Concrete posts and gravel boards with closeboarded(vertical) panels, are durable and easy maintenance.
You'd need 10 sections.
Again lots of variables ....remove and dispose existing, supply and fit....for a good job(in my area) £110-£140 per section
IRO £1000(lab+mat) for a good timber fence
chez

Get someone to come and run a wall building course in your garden. Get the bits off freecycle and provide them with lunch.
Rusticwood

inch thick planks secured horizontally alternating on either side of the posts, less wind resistant but still leaves a solid fence.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home