Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Jb

How much energy does an induction hob save / use

JB wrote:
Inspired by the electricity challenge thread ...

Compared to a ceramic hob what sort of power saving would an induction hob offer (i.e. is it worth my buying an induction hob now or when the current hob reaches its end of life)

I note from http://www.biasco.com/pbguides/hobs.php

Quote:
Some larger induction hobs need a power supply of more than 10kw

Which doesn't really sound like an energy saving

(copied from the electricity challenge thread cos' it should really be there)
dougal

Ordinary induction hobs are actually typically the same or less "total connected load" than ordinary electric hobs. And its the maximum possible load that you use when specifying cable thickness. Just as with a gas hob, so the pipe size has to allow all the rings on full at the same time. And a single "Wok ring" can be something like 10kw on its own ...
The basic deDietrich that I used actually had an internal power handling design limitation, in that you couldn't use both rings on the same side on maximum simultaneously. But you could use any one one left side and any one one right side ring at maximum, and then the other two would only go to about 50% IIRC. It was just something to remember, a French quirk, never a real limitation - not least because with induction/LeCreuset one rarely used max power.

Induction is great to live with. Its super-clean, and super-responsive, and super steady (unlike the massive pulsing of almost all electric hobs). And uses less electricity (my guess 1/3 less?) than other electric hobs.

Unquestionably less heat is "wasted" to the room. But as per my previous comments on that subject, just because it goes to the room doesn't mean its wasted.
And, using mains electricity, there are other efficiencies to be considered. Plus a kwh of electricity costs rather more than a kwh of gas.
vegplot

dougal wrote:
Plus a kwh of electricity costs rather more than a kwh of gas

and produces significantly more carbon dioxide (if sourced from fossil fuel power stations)
dougal

Yep, but it gets much more complicated when you start trying to estimate the efficiency with which heat is transferred from flame to food, and hence the carbon per kwh-into-the-food using gas.

Plus it is possible to straightforwardly purchase electricity from a renewables generator.
Gas from renewables, however, requires building your own biogas plant!
LynneA

And you have to make sure you have cookware suitable to use on an induction hob.

If you have to get new pans, that defeats the object.
VSS

Lots of saucepans are unsuitable for induction hobs.
thos

Hobs don't tend to be on for very long anyway, at least on high power, so I don't think consumption is a major issue.

The greatest advantage of induction is the response time, especially to turn the heat down to avoid boiling over - much safer than lifting the pan off the hob.

On the other hand they are a lot more expensive than gas hobs. If you are connected to mains gas, that would be my preference. If not, go for induction - and, as always, a mid-range one.
thos

VSS wrote:
Lots of saucepans are unsuitable for induction hobs.

It's easy to test your pans - just apply a convenient magnet. As Terri threw out all her old pans to replace them with shiny new IKEA 365s a few years ago, that wasn't a problem for us.
dougal

Lots and lots of pans are perfectly suitable.
Notably the very durable cast iron ones.

Its easy to test what will work - all you need is a fridge magnet.

Its the cheap disposable, all-aluminium ones that don't work.
At least, that is, by themselves. They can be used *on* a smooth cast iron griddle with similar energy efficiency to what you'd get using a conventional electric cooker.

Really, cookware is a non-issue.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home