Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Azura Skye

how much rent would you pay for....

....a small log cabin (10x20ft)... with no running water, a compost toilet, electricity, a garden space, space for car and pets allowed.

My friend is moving and has land that she'll put a log cabin on. I may move there, but I don't know what's a decent amount to pay. I thought 200 inclusive of all electricity bills was okay - but now I'm thinking - for a room in a garden that's a lot.

What would you say?
Jamanda

Is it legal to rent out somewhere to live that has no running water?
earthyvirgo

Is it legal to rent out somewhere to live that has no running water?

I doubt it very much ...unless AS would have access to the main property's water?

EV
Lorrainelovesplants

Were going to let a large (double)room with kitchenette, own walk in shower suite, own front door, own parking, all bills...for 360 pm.
Nick

Location x3.
Azura Skye

yes I'll have access to water from main property. It's not location location location around these parts! But It will be a good walk to the house.

By that time I'll be out of a job so I'm supposing 200 pcm is a lot for me then.

The cabin is basically a room. But I don't mind that so much.
Went

Can you reduce the rent by offering to do some chores around the garden or something - bit of good old fashioned bartering?
Pilsbury

Have a look in the local area at how much a room to rent would cost, here Is no comparison as its about 350 a month if I rented out my spare bedroom inside the house, a one bedroom flat is about 600 a month so for something that is private and secluded but without all the amenities I would be looking between the 2 prices. So have a look in your area.
Azura Skye

good ideas. thank you.

320 is the price per month for a two bedroom house around these parts. so...!
AnnaD

good ideas. thank you.

Wow, that's cheap compared to here! It's 500 a month for a two bedroom house, and that's the cheapest you'll find around Edinburgh and Midlothian!
toggle

if you aren't working, what is the LHA in your area and are you claiming housing benefit? what you offer should take into account what assistyance you can get. Pilsbury

good ideas. thank you.

Looked at some rents, 2 bed flat over a shop in the town, no parking, and probably noisy is 200 .............

A week.
marigold

good ideas. thank you.

Wow, that's cheap compared to here! It's 500 a month for a two bedroom house, and that's the cheapest you'll find around Edinburgh and Midlothian!

750-900 a month for a two-bed house here! 350-520 for a studio flat.
12Bore

Until last moth, The Lad was paying 600pcm plus bills for a one bed basement flat in Norwich, now paying 400pcm all inclusive for a room in a shared 3 bed house. Azura Skye

crikey maybe I should offer more? ; ) hehe

LHA -
http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/advice/benefits/lha/pages/localhousingallowancerates.aspx

thanks for the tip, Toggle.
Seems to go with what I'm expected to pay.

Maybe I should just go for it. If I find it's too much I can always ask to lower the rate and see how I can help in the garden.

thanks for advice all
Nick

So, still say location isn't important? Chez

I'd go for it at that price, particularly if you can claim LHA. It sounds fantastic. Azura Skye

thanks Chez, I'm really excited. MY OWN PLACE. like omg like I totally can't believe it. hehe.

and I can bring my incontinent old ferret! my life is complete.
Chez

Incidentally, are you looking for another ferret? Because Sandra R has one that needs home ... RichardW

You could very easily be using half of that 200 per month in electricity especially in winter with electric heating. Chez

Woodburner. Like in Ginkotree's little Stuka. Azura Skye

Chez - aww it would be good to give ferrets in need a home, but I think after these two pass on I'll have to stop, they are a big commitment : ( hope it finds a home though.

RichardW, that's put things into perspective. thank you. I'll have a little wood burner too. which should nicely heat a small place.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home