Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Bugs

How much wool for a scarf..

How long is a piece of string?

I've successfully made a hat to join my mittens and have most of a 100g of DK wool left in that colour. Would this be enough to make a simple scarf - I'm not fussy about design/width/length as long as it's practical. There are so many patterns about (thanks to Nora!) that I'm not sure where to start.
Stacey

It depends on how close knit you want it. 100g is enough for a loose-ish scarf I would've thought. What sort of thing are you after?

Remember that if you do knit & purl it'll curl up into a tube.
mochyn

Have you graduated to doing ribbing yet? It's dead easy, knit 1, purl 1 to the end of the row. If you cast on (say) 30 stitches on 4mm needles (assuming it's double knitting yarn) and then rib until the end of the yarn then you have a scarf! It's really that easy.
Northern_Lad

Now I understand how some of you must feel when techie stuff is discussed!

mochyn wrote:
Have you graduated to doing ribbing yet?

Is this some form of joking?

mochyn wrote:
knit 1,

Surely you need to knit more than one to make a scarf?

mochyn wrote:
purl 1

Where do the oysters come from?

mochyn wrote:
cast on

Now we're getting nautical!

mochyn wrote:
(assuming it's double knitting yarn) and then

You mean you need to do it twice?

mochyn wrote:
rib

Basic anatonamy anyone?

mochyn wrote:
until the end of the yarn

Do have to tell a story, of will singing do?
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Northern_Lad wrote:
Now I understand how some of you must feel when techie stuff is discussed!

mochyn wrote:
Have you graduated to doing ribbing yet?

Is this some form of joking?

mochyn wrote:
knit 1,

Surely you need to knit more than one to make a scarf?

mochyn wrote:
purl 1

Where do the oysters come from?

mochyn wrote:
cast on

Now we're getting nautical!

mochyn wrote:
(assuming it's double knitting yarn) and then

You mean you need to do it twice?

mochyn wrote:
rib

Basic anatonamy anyone?

mochyn wrote:
until the end of the yarn

Do have to tell a story, of will singing do?

you are so out of your depth! Laughing
ele

I *so* want a knit a scarf as it's so easy and rewarding, can't quite convince myself I need another one...

...I'm tempted to knit myself a (short) skirt ... I think it might be an amazing fashion faux-pas though Shocked Laughing
mochyn

Yeah, but don't we, the initiated, feel smug Very Happy
Stacey

ele wrote:
I *so* want a knit a scarf as it's so easy and rewarding, can't quite convince myself I need another one...

...I'm tempted to knit myself a (short) skirt ... I think it might be an amazing fashion faux-pas though Shocked Laughing

Knitted skirts are very 'in' at the moment. www.knitty.com had a patern for one in the archives I think. There's also a really nice tweedy wraparound pattern in last months Simply Knitting.
ele

stacey_guthrie wrote:
Knitted skirts are very 'in' at the moment. www.knitty.com had a patern for one in the archives I think. There's also a really nice tweedy wraparound pattern in last months Simply Knitting.

Thanks I shall have a look about Smile
sally_in_wales

What about that knitting style from the 80s where you do one row on a really huge needle (12mm say) and the next on a small one (4mm maybe), it grows fast and you get quite a good lacy effect, might also be quite economical on the yarn if you only have the one ball?
Bugs

Thanks ladies. My hat and mittens are stocking stitch(? knit row, purl row, and so on?) with a single rib for the hat rim and mitten cuffs. For some reason I have the impression rib is quite hungry on wool! I like doing the stocking stitch because it doesn't take much thought as to which stitch you're on, but of course I'd wind up with two different sides - then it's a scarf and nobody is going to notice. I'd never heard of Sally's technique but I had been contemplating using a much larger needle for the scarf for that reason - I'll have a hunt around and see if I can find anything helpful!

I wonder about a muffler...
Bugs

PS I forgot one of you is not a lady...I think NL's intervention was a cry for help. Knitting is great for the man who is confident about his masculinity you know, NL. And if I can do it you can too. I can point you to some nice books and patterns and as you can see there are lots of lovely people here who will help out the generously-thumbed among us...
marigold

stacey_guthrie wrote:

What a FAB site - thanks!

I love knitting as a stress reliever. I'm not very good or quick at it, but have made some nice things, including a nice sacft of fisherman's rib. That takes a lot of yarn, so probably not good if you onlyhave a limited amount.

Lately I have a lot of problems with my left hand becoming numb/painful if I knit (or hand-sew) for more than a short time. I get pins and needles for days afterwards if I overdo it. Any suggestions about what the problem might be? Arthritis? RSI? And for how to overcome it? Should I go to the Doc?

I miss being able to knit my woes away. I've got a sock kit I'd like to have a go at and I'd love to make that orange Samus jacket on the knitty site, but I'm worried about damaging my hand permanently.
sean

Marigold, I'd get the doc to have a look. It may be RSI, or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or indeed other things.
Bugs

I would second that Marigold, don't take any risks, and the sooner you get it seen to the better all round.
Northern_Lad

Bugs wrote:
PS I forgot one of you is not a lady...I think NL's intervention was a cry for help. Knitting is great for the man who is confident about his masculinity you know, NL. And if I can do it you can too. I can point you to some nice books and patterns and as you can see there are lots of lovely people here who will help out the generously-thumbed among us...

The odd thing is, I have considered knitting myself a scarf.
But then I thought it's probably end up like my cheese-making: done once; done well; left in a cupboard.
marigold

sean wrote:
Marigold, I'd get the doc to have a look. It may be RSI, or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or indeed other things.

Thanks, sean, I was afraid that would be the answer. To be honest I think I'd rather give up knitting than to go into battle with the NHS on yet another front (I won't bore you with the reasons for my disillusion Smile ), but I'll mention it next time I see my GP. I've already been checked by a neurologist for other reasons, so I'm not particularly worried about MS or anything like that. Probably just old age creeping up Laughing
Bugs

You could wear a scarf though - you'd look quite odd wearing cheese. But then you can't eat scarves.

You'd only need one pair of needles (max 20p from the right charity shop) - the wool is rather more expensive but then that's the bit you'll be enjoying (you could get some nice stuff off Rob, although cream might be a bit girly for you?). It's a very low-investment activity, knitting...go on...jooooooin us.
marigold

Northern_Lad wrote:
Bugs wrote:

The odd thing is, I have considered knitting myself a scarf.
But then I thought it's probably end up like my cheese-making: done once; done well; left in a cupboard.

My brother crocheted several blankets when he was younger - I've still got mine, it's a bit battered now, but still useful Smile . Isn't there a bishop who knits?
nettie

Ooo you wait till you progress to socks!! You can get away with doing mostly knit, with just a little bit of rib. Once you find a nice easy pattern and work out how to hold the blimmin needles and do the first pair it's very satisfying.
Stacey

sally_in_wales wrote:
What about that knitting style from the 80s where you do one row on a really huge needle (12mm say) and the next on a small one (4mm maybe), it grows fast and you get quite a good lacy effect, might also be quite economical on the yarn if you only have the one ball?

I did a nice one last winter with thin mohair on thick needles and a line of chunky wool going through it. It's a technique called scribble lace and it looks fab http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTloopy.html
bernie-woman

That is a really good site - I am tempted to knit my OH a guitar strap Laughing

Not sure why anyone would want to knit one of these though Shocked

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTwomb.html
Northern_Lad

bernie wrote:
Not sure why anyone would want to knit one of these though Shocked

You never know when someone's going to ask you "where's the featus gonna gestate!?" Laughing
wellington womble

Absolutely see your GP marigold - its unlikely to be RSI, but carpal tunnel or another overuse type injury is a possibilty. PM me if I can help with anything (like medical jargon - only not NL's basic anatomy!)

Bugs if you knit a tube (ie like short scarf you sew the sides together and pull over your head) it would take less wool, and it doesn't come undone, or leave odd ends sticking out anywhere! or pick a toning or contrasting colour and knit stripes.
Sarah D

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is fairly common amongst knitters - definitely get any pain chekced out by your GP. It can call for a fairly simple op to cure it.

Ths knitting bishop is The Reverend Richard Rutt (erstwhile?) Bishop of Lancaster. Wrote an excellent book on the history of knitting - very good book, goes for lots of pounds on e-bay.

Hope this helps.
sally_in_wales

I know a couple or vicars who knit. Must ask them whether they can carry on vicar-ing whilst knitting or whether its one of the other at one time though! Smile
Helen_A

marigold wrote:
stacey_guthrie wrote:

Does this mean that you've found all the archives with all the back issues as well?

Actually - if you like Knitty its well worth having a look at the ReKAL blog'site . There are some great links from it as well to such delights as plastic bag knitting and other very downsizer-ish activities Smile

http://rekal.zibibboisgood.com/

(Can you tell I love Knitty as well? Laughing)

Helen_A
Stacey

Helen_A wrote:
marigold wrote:
stacey_guthrie wrote:

Does this mean that you've found all the archives with all the back issues as well?

Actually - if you like Knitty its well worth having a look at the ReKAL blog'site . There are some great links from it as well to such delights as plastic bag knitting and other very downsizer-ish activities Smile

http://rekal.zibibboisgood.com/

(Can you tell I love Knitty as well? Laughing)

Helen_A

Great site Helen - thanks for that Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home