Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

How much would you pay ....?

I would appreciate some feedback and ideas for prices/quantities of my handprinted tags.

Thanks to Penny Outskirts, I found a supplier of scalloped tags online, so I can produce them much, much more efficiently now. The cost is more than my plain hand cut ones but it's far outweighed by time saved and the scalloped shape.

These are the latest ones (blue and purple using the hellebore lino)

and these (using the clematis lino)

If you were going to buy them:

1. How many would you want/expect in a pack?
I was thinking of 3 colours x 5 = 15 but I think that might be a bit too many and starts to be a bit of a bulk buy rather than an arty treat?
2. Would you want mixed colours or would a pack of 5 in one colour be more stylish and more likely to sell?
3. And the big question, how much to charge?

The larger ones which I made last year were the size of a parcel label and sold well at last year's art trail at £2.00 for 3 tags.

The new scalloped ones are perhaps a bit more 'girlie' but are approx half the size (4cm x 7cm).

The ties will be natural coloured or red hemp string.

EV
Pilsbury

I think 15 in a pack would be fine. If I bought them it would be for Christmas probably for the family gifts so would want a fair few.
I originally thought £10 for 15 tags sounded reasonable but that's the same price you were selling the bigger ones for so maybe between £7.50 to £10 a set.
chez

I agree re 15 being too many for a treat. But if you are doing three colours, then multiples of three is good. What about six - two of each colour?

Re price, anything under a fiver.

What's your profit margin?
arvo

They are gorgeous btw.
marigold

I tend to prefer sets of the same thing rather than selections made by someone else, so I'd suggest packs of three or five of the same design with a discount for multiple purchases. I never buy gift tags nowadays, so couldn't say how much I'd pay.
Luath

I would be tempted by a pack of five, all in one colour; would pay £4, maybe a wee bit more. They're beautiful Very Happy
earthyvirgo

These are all really helpful comments so far, thanks folks.

I guess now that I'm doing a session here and there specifically printing tags, I need to stop think of them as 'by-products' as I'll end up undervaluing Embarassed

Not sure yet Chez (re profit margin), not my strong point. Quite difficult when there's time involved in the equation not just materials.

EV
chez

To me, the time IS the profit, if that makes sense. I know it's a bit different for me - if I stand at the market for five hours and come home with a hundred quid of sales, out of which I take my stall fees, my feed costs and my petrol, I reckon that's my 'profit', which divided by five makes my average hourly rate.

More difficult for you to cost out like that, though.
welsh veg grower

I guess you have done the whole think how much you pay for the materials, label, ink string etc and then a rough price on time for making and packaging them. This should give you an idea of how much they cost to make. Then consider what price would you be happy to get for them and see if that sounds like an acceptable price.

I'm funny about labels I like them to match the paper. Although these with a sheet of brown paper would be rather nice maybe. I bought a nice sheet of paper with matching card for a baby pressie the other day the whole lot was £2.99 but it was lovely paper. Was a treat for a special occasion wouldnt do that for everyday gifts.

sorry not much help there but I agree with the not mixed colours thing as some colours I would use but not all of them.
earthyvirgo

To me, the time IS the profit, if that makes sense. I know it's a bit different for me - if I stand at the market for five hours and come home with a hundred quid of sales, out of which I take my stall fees, my feed costs and my petrol, I reckon that's my 'profit', which divided by five makes my average hourly rate.

More difficult for you to cost out like that, though.

We've just loosely done the sums (vegplot is brilliant at the maths which I struggle with) and profit margins would be quite healthy if I sold direct to the customer at 6 for £3.50

I think I'll probably do single colour and mixed packs to satisfy as many potential customers as possible.

EV
Penny Outskirts

They are really stunning EV Smile Very proud to have helped! £3.50 for six retail sounds good.

Agree with Chez on the time cost thing.
jamanda

They are really stunning EV Smile Very proud to have helped! £3.50 for six retail sounds good.

Agree with Chez on the time cost thing.

£3.50 for six retail is good - but maybe bigger packs approaching that big thing in December.
marigold

I'm funny about labels I like them to match the paper. Although these with a sheet of brown paper would be rather nice maybe.

This could be a good way to present the tags for sale - alongside a (group of?) brown-paper parcel(s) tied with the string you use for the tags, with a tag attached. Might be worth adding a few hanks of the string for sale too. If that's not making a sideline too complicated.

I use brown paper (dirt cheap rolls from T**co) and string for all gift-wrapping now. I make my own tags (sorry) to complement the occasion/recipient.
jamanda

I'm generally even tighter than that - I cut up last years Christmas cards to make this years tags. But I could go with these and brown paper. Penny Outskirts

I'll going to have these and brown paper Smile Bit too early to be booking some though isn't it Embarassed I might have to mention the C word again welsh veg grower

[quote="earthyvirgo:1279929]We've just loosely done the sums (vegplot is brilliant at the maths which I struggle with) and profit margins would be quite healthy if I sold direct to the customer at 6 for £3.50

I think I'll probably do single colour and mixed packs to satisfy as many potential customers as possible.

EV[/quote]

sounds good to me and if your happy with that then fab. I often will pick up a pack of cards or a few small items when I'm at an exhibition if I like the artists work but cant afford or dont need one of the main pieces so a very nice sideline I would think.
earthyvirgo

I'm funny about labels I like them to match the paper. Although these with a sheet of brown paper would be rather nice maybe.

This could be a good way to present the tags for sale - alongside a (group of?) brown-paper parcel(s) tied with the string you use for the tags, with a tag attached. Might be worth adding a few hanks of the string for sale too. If that's not making a sideline too complicated.

I use brown paper (dirt cheap rolls from T**co) and string for all gift-wrapping now. I make my own tags (sorry) to complement the occasion/recipient.

Shocked Shocked
That's exactly how I promoted my packs of 5 cards at the Christmas Fair thingy I did last year Marigold. I made mock-up parcels ... wrapped a piece of card sized foamboard in brown paper and tied it with string, then stood 5 giant pegs holding the individual cards amongst the parcels.

Presenting things well, or quirkily is half the battle Smile

EV
earthyvirgo

I'll going to have these and brown paper Smile Bit too early to be booking some though isn't it Embarassed I might have to mention the C word again

It's always good to know in advance but please, no C word, not yet Wink

EV
earthyvirgo

Good news.
I popped into the gallery in Conwy today and they'd be very happy to sell packs for me.

Hopefully they'll be there from the end of September ... and I'll sell direct too (from my new website which I hope will also be up and running by end of Sept).

Just need to print plenty now Smile

EV
Penny Outskirts

Excellent news Smile marigold

Shocked Shocked
That's exactly how I promoted my packs of 5 cards at the Christmas Fair thingy I did last year Marigold. I made mock-up parcels ... wrapped a piece of card sized foamboard in brown paper and tied it with string, then stood 5 giant pegs holding the individual cards amongst the parcels.

Presenting things well, or quirkily is half the battle Smile

EV

Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home