Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Annemieke

How often can you freeze chicken?

I bought a fresh chicken and froze it. Two weeks later I defrosted and cooked it. The leftovers I froze again. I ate those yesterday and kept the bones for broth, froze them. When I have enough bones I will defrost them and make broth - to freeze this, again, in portions.
Is it bad to freeze and defrost a chicken so many times? I tell you, that broth is lovely …..
Shan

I've done it and I'm not dead. Laughing
Midlandsman

It's fine, because you've processed it between each stage.

MM
bagpuss

MM

This,

Defrosting food gives any bacteria on it time to grow, defrosting and refreezing raw food makes this particularly dangerous.

Defrosting food and refreezing it without heating or processing it sufficient to kill bacteria is very dangerous.

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk
Annemieke

That all sounds very sensible Bagpuss, but only if you keep off the cupcakes as well! Evil or Very Mad
Midlandsman

MM

This,

Defrosting food gives any bacteria on it time to grow, defrosting and refreezing raw food makes this particularly dangerous.

Defrosting food and refreezing it without heating or processing it sufficient to kill bacteria is very dangerous.

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk I agree. It is always worth taking extra precautions with 'at risk' groups.

However, freezing previously frozen raw meat after cooking is a fairly standard practice that even the FSA say is fine, without mention of the risk groups. So, in this case the risk can be assumed to be negligible.

MM
bagpuss

MM

This,

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk I agree. It is always worth taking extra precautions with 'at risk' groups.

However, freezing previously frozen raw meat after cooking is a fairly standard practice that even the FSA say is fine, without mention of the risk groups. So, in this case the risk can be assumed to be negligible.

MM

I agree with freezing stuff which you cooked once, the freeze/thaw freeze/thaw operation described in the original post I might approach with more caution
dpack

if the stock bones collection was boiled from frozen it removes one stage of potential bio challenge from the process.

i have not noticed any difference to stock quality when using frozen bones strait into boiling water/veg bits.
Annemieke

Good idea. xA
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home