Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Lorrainelovesplants

how soon after a mating flight would you check them?

We had the most spectacular mating flight on Saturday, a whole cloud up to the leylandii and then after around 30 mins back into the hive, and no bloody swallows around!
How long would you leave them before checking all is well?
Tavascarow

I would wait about ten days. If I saw plenty of pollen going in at that time probably leave them alone till later as long as they had enough feed. If I didn't see any pollen then I'd suspect a bad mating & investigate.
Lorrainelovesplants

great info - will look for pollen bearers.
Cathryn

Very handy! Spell it out for me, is this something to do with the bees that bring pollen in or something about the use of pollen. I know I should remember this but I am running out of brain capacity for most things at the moment!
Lorrainelovesplants

The queen is there to lay eggs. The workers will collect pollen whith which to feed the young.
So, if you see bees carrying in pollen you know the queen is laying. Smile
Tavascarow

To grow new bodies they require pollen as a protein source.
The bees will gather a certain amount even when the queen isn't laying but when you see a lot going in it's a sure sign a lot of brood is being raised.
Adult bees, like butterflies & many moths only consume dissolved sugars in the form of honey or nectar.
Wasps get the protein to feed their young by hunting other insect larvae.
Cathryn

Duh! Thank you. I knew that but seem to be incapable of applying knowledge this week. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home