Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sally_in_wales

How to choose ethical overseas suppliers

As far as I possibly can, I use UK suppliers for materials for the stuff I do in my shop, and if I have to use imported materials I try very hard to use them consciously, without waste, and because they do something that I can't realistically achieve with more local resources. I'm not anti all imports, I just want to be thoughtful about what imports I choose to use and be certain I can pass that thinking on to any customers if they ask.

I'm looking at a few new knitting kit lines for next year that I want to pitch to some specific wholesale markets, and to bring these in at the right price I'm going to need to strongly consider bamboo or maybe some other non British wood knitting needles- (I've previously made all the needles for our knitting kits, but I can get finshed bamboo needles at half the price the timber costs for UK wood ones, which will make a vast difference to the potential saleability of these kits.)

I want to contact a few knitting needle manufacturers in probably China to discuss a small wholesale order of needles, but I need some advice on what to ask to ensure that as far as realistically possible I'm not buying items made with unethical labour or with a complete environmental disregard.

Can anyone advise on what I need to ask, and how to assess whether I'm being told the truth without physically going to inspect, without being unspeakably rude in the process?
tahir

It's almost impossible to assess supply chain ethics unless you're on the ground regularly. We know of many "audited" suppliers that engage in unethical practices.
sally_in_wales

hmm. Ok, how to make the best of a potentially dodgy situation? Do I ask for a copy of their environmental and social policy or is that going to get me all round blank looks and non returned emails? Is there a way to check what conditions tend to be like in knitting needle factories in a given country? Or do I go back to the drawing board and refuse to consider imported items because I can't qualify any aspect of their provenance?
tahir

I guess the scheme I'd place most trust in is FairTrade but I doubt there are any accredited suppliers. Tough one. Maybe Mina could find someone in Kenya for you?
Midland Spinner

Wingham have Surina knitting needles which they say are 'manufactured in India by skilled artisans' which implies that Wingham have some knowledge of their origins - and they have an environmental policy so it might be worth contacting them and seeing whether their needles are ethically sourced.
Katieowl

I've just dug out a couple of double ended sets I bought last year, as I was pretty sure they had some kind of eco lable on...and they did.

They are brittanyneedles.com They say they are made in Northern California from sustainably harvested domestic birch wood...

Don't know if that is any help?

Kate
sally_in_wales

I've just dug out a couple of double ended sets I bought last year, as I was pretty sure they had some kind of eco lable on...and they did.

They are brittanyneedles.com They say they are made in Northern California from sustainably harvested domestic birch wood...

Don't know if that is any help?

Kate

Brittany are lovely needles but quite expensive, ditto Surina, I need to be able to quarter what it costs me to make needles myself for this current idea to work
Midland Spinner

Can your local trading standards or business link or council help with information?
Shan

Do remember though, that you are going to have to pay import duties and VAT, which you will only get back provided you are VAT registered.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home