Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
OtleyLad

How to make a silver pendant look old/tarnished?

I've just got hold of a silver pendant 'Tree of Life'
Its nicely made but very shiny. Is there a way of making it look old/tarnished/antique?
Ideally the process would not leave a film of something that might later stain any fabric it would be next to (like a white shirt)?
Nick

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/journals/conservation-journal/issue-18/tarnishing-of-silver-a-short-review/

Looks like you want moisture, hydrogen sulfide and a low pH.

Rotten eggs, farts or off meat and vinegar?
derbyshiredowser

Liver of sulphur sends it tarnished you just add a few drops to some warm water and watch it as it turns darker and darker then spray it with a varnish to seal it. kernow crafts sell it small bottles, don't get it on your hands though as it stinks of hydrogen sulphide.
dpack

bury in the base of a compost heap is fairly traditional
Hairyloon

Looks like you want moisture, hydrogen sulfide and a low pH.

I don't think your eggs even nee to be rotten: is why you should never use a silver spoon for your boiled eggs.
dpack

fast patina tends to be on the surface ,slow patina gets into the crystals.becomes stable . etc etc
Ty Gwyn

Re: How to make a silver pendant look old/tarnished?

I've just got hold of a silver pendant 'Tree of Life'
Its nicely made but very shiny. Is there a way of making it look old/tarnished/antique?
Ideally the process would not leave a film of something that might later stain any fabric it would be next to (like a white shirt)?

Other than bury it in the ground for a while,
Start making your Xmas puddings,and bury it in her ladyships.
Mistress Rose

Leave it out in a room for a while. The surface will oxidise and go dark. Slower than the sulphur route, but does work. OtleyLad

Liver of sulphur sends it tarnished you just add a few drops to some warm water and watch it as it turns darker and darker then spray it with a varnish to seal it. kernow crafts sell it small bottles, don't get it on your hands though as it stinks of hydrogen sulphide.

How long does it take? Minutes, days, weeks?

I'm supposed to be wearing it in 8 dyas time...
vegplot

Bing is your friend...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ageing+silver&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=
OtleyLad

Bing is your friend...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ageing+silver&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=

Thanks for that. I guess I can't eat the egg yolks afterwards?
paul1963

Now there's a justification for the governments new food fraud squad Laughing
derbyshiredowser

Now there's a justification for the governments new food fraud squad Laughing

Sound more like the House of Lords Shocked
derbyshiredowser

How long does it take? Minutes, days, weeks?

I'm supposed to be wearing it in 8 dyas time...

Around 1 minute depending on temperature and the depth of colour reqd.
Mistress Rose

You could eat the egg yolks, but they might not taste too good. Silver is not supposed to be harmful and has disinfectant properties, so was used for cups in the past.

One place I used to work near the incinerator, we had to keep anything silver well wrapped up because of the sulphur.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home