Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sally_in_wales

How to make a yarn balance?

I think I want one of these
http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/aa00/aa022800.htm

The principle is simple, its a balance scale that weighs a fixed fraction of a pound or kilo, and once you know how long a piece of yarn equals that amount you can calculate the yardage of a known weight of wool, and I can think of any number of ways to make the actual balance, but I'm having a mental block about how to calibrate it so it works accurately as shown in the page above.

Somebody technically minded help me out please!
wellington womble

Is it similar to one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180213987159&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:GB:1123

Don't look at any of toni's yarns, though - they are far too addictive!
sally_in_wales

thats the beats, I reckon making one is more fun than buying it though Very Happy
sean

You'd just calibrate it by using a 1g or 5g or whatever weight wouldn't you?
sally_in_wales

its a length to weight thing though isnt it, thats whats bamboozling me. probably utterly simple if I can just seperate out the length ve weight thing
sean

As far as I can see you just make a balance that weighs one gramme (or whatever), then you find the length of your yarn that balances it. Then you say "Aha, my yarn is 65cm/gramme and I have 500g, so that's x metres of yarn."
wellington womble

Yes - I think you need to calibrate to say, 1g, then you know that 1g of yarn is 5cm long, therefore 492g of yarn will be 5 x 492. Equals 2460 cm - or 246 metres. Or the imperial equivalent. 1g might be hard - 10 might be easier.

I am very stupid with numbers, though, so I'm highly likely to be wrong. Can you test it on some known yardages? You could test the calculation with kitchen scales, couldn't you (it would be more fiddly, as you couldn't cut the yarn on the balance)
Belinda

Isn't there another method of calculating yardage without the need for a balance scale - something to do with wraps per inch, wrapped round a ruler? Or did I dream this?!
wellington womble

No idea. I can never get my head round the whole yardage thing. Surely weight is a much more accurate guide to how much yarn you need, as wider yarn will take up more space per linear yard!

This is why I always order too much yarn, and then have to think of something to do with the leftovers!
Belinda

Yes you're right - when I checked, the wraps-per-inch thing is more of a test for whether one is handspinning to a set yarn width (eg to produce yarn to suit a particular knitting pattern etc).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home