Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Jam Lady

How To Make Deer Antler Buttons

So I put a want on Freecycle and now have 5 deer antlers - one very nice size "shed" and two pairs, each pair attached to a small piece of skull.

Google staghorn buttons and sites are eager to sell completed buttons to me. Google deer antler buttons and it is a bit more helpful - cut apart with hacksaw, polish, drill holes. Or make toggles from the tines.

It turns out that my husband wants me to make the buttons, not him. He'll provide the hacksaw tho.

Before I start - has anyone here actually made buttons? Hints, tips, and advice much appreciated.
dpack

a bandsaw will save lots of rsi ,antler is hard ,use a very good hacksaw blade if cutting by hand

a dremel is useful for slots etc

power sander to work the flats from sawn to smooth ,polish with metal polish and a felt mop in a power tool

the dust has a rather special flavour so a mask for sanding etc might be a good idea

working antler with flint is a slow game
buzzy

a bandsaw will save lots of rsi ,antler is hard ,use a very good hacksaw blade if cutting by hand

a dremel is useful for slots etc

power sander to work the flats from sawn to smooth ,polish with metal polish and a felt mop in a power tool

the dust has a rather special flavour so a mask for sanding etc might be a good idea working antler with flint is a slow game

I have read, though can't confirm, that antler dust is something you definitely don't want to have in your lungs. I should certainly get an efficient mask, if I were you.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home