Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sunblest

huge net bags for storing and drying firewood?

We're installing a log boiler (big one) to heat a couple of buildings and will need a lot of dry firewood. I want to split wood directly into 1 tonne bag sized nets where it can be stacked and dried outside. The only supplier I can find won't guarantee the bags for over a year if exposed to sunlight. I'm sure I've seen something suitable in Norway but getting nowhere on sourcing them. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.
Cathryn

Ah, Norway. What about those large sacks that sand and stuff gets delivered in from builders merchants, Norway must use something similar?
Behemoth

They start to degrade after a year outside, although i've had some last a lot longer.
Treacodactyl

Who have you found? These people do large net backs and bulk vented bags: www.bagsupplies.com/netbags.htm

What about making your own wooden crates, it seems plenty of places deliver firewood with a crate just google "firewood pallet" to get some examples.
sunblest

Thanks for the link but these are the ones that degrade in the sunlight. I could really do with bags with tough handles that I can pick the bag up using a tractor loader with. I've thought about crates but I think bags would be better if I could get hold of them. Agree that builders bags disintegrate and I dont think there would be enough air flow to dry the logs.
Cathryn

Large size fishing nets then?
sunblest

Hmm, thats a good idea. Thanks.
crofter

You could make your own. Netmaking is not difficult to learn, and for storing firewood the mesh size could be pretty big, it wouldn't take long to make a few.
sunblest

Any idea where you get the materials and the know how? Will look into it, thanks
maryf

I learned to net from a library book - I should think baler twine would be the most durable. Good Luck
RichardW

Builders bags will rot the wood unless its already very dry & then stored inside.
The net ones rot due to the UV
You can get some that are UV treated but they are about £6 each if you buy enough (200)
IBC's make great log stores with the plastic removed
pallets with that wind break netting make a good store
pallets with sheep netting are reasonable too.
You can also get net bags that go on a pallet but they have no "substance" to them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home