Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
dpack

i aint afraid of no bear....

i wonder how they react to out of sync strobes?

smarter than yer average "bear grade pistol" which is rather unfair, bears do not have arms

flash bangs, sprays or an air horn may be effective, but again they are a bit robust and need more far more deployment than a "panic button" and a couple of excitable lights

i will consider this, cats and rats are not keen, humans get discombobulated by a variety of lighting effects, etc, ummm

a good camera flash can be disturbing on burst shoot even from behind the camera
Mistress Rose

The trouble with bears is that if they don't react by running away, they might react by being aggressive. I believe in Canada they tend to strip fruit trees, and there isn't a lot you can do about it.
dpack

a teacher/mentor of mine had an issue with a white one eating his mars bars as a starter and then coming for him as a main course
he lived to tell of it, the bear did not Rolling Eyes

some folk set out electric fencing, but that is not easy on a red riding hood stroll in the woods
sgt.colon

There's not a bear problem in York is there? Very Happy
dpack

it has happened
Mistress Rose

Many years ago now there was a bear got loose from a zoo on the Isle of Wight and took to the woods. Think they managed to use a rifle with one of those sedation darts and caught it that way. A policeman that we new had a couple of stories about catching a kangaroo in a garage and being told with one colleague to contain a tiger in a woodland. I think they stayed in the police car for that one. Very Happy
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing Not something that happens every day is it? Very Happy
dpack

Laughing

it was a while ago

In 1831, a bear from the menagerie got loose in the gardens and reportedly chased the Keeper of the Yorkshire Museum, John Phillips, and Reverend Harcourt into an outbuilding.
Mistress Rose

Rather more recent than that Dpack. Think it was in the 1960s. I remember it, and although ancient, I am not that ancient. Laughing
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing
dpack

2 loose bears Shocked

the 1831 is famous, i had no known of a more recent one

ps never ask about a bear in the forest of dean Rolling Eyes Laughing

they are more than sensitive about it even mark steel found the subject, troublesome, when he took his show there

it has daft aspects, but it is an ugly tale
dpack

umm new cat on the block Twisted Evil
it was in the yard Rolling Eyes
it seems likely we will come to an understanding, birds are ok with chilli, mr 2 strobes knows to put an arm over one eye Laughing

i spoke quietly, looked paddingtonly(it is a word Laughing Laughing ) and then politely asked a salukixgrey to join me Laughing

if i let my critters play out me and they would be in trouble, puss and puss keepers need education

we have a multi owned small area with loads of birds, put it on a lead
Mistress Rose

If I see a new cat in our garden I tell it the rules. No messing in my seed beds, no chasing the wildlife, and no fishing if the pond has water in it. We sometimes get toads and used to get frogs in there. I don't think cats pay much attention though. As my DIL says; Dogs take orders, cats listen and say they will get back to you. Very Happy
gz

Cool Laughing
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home