Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Pilsbury

I got an award!!

On friday my boss told me i had won an award from the company i work for which confused me no end as i hadnt entered anything.
It turns out my manager had nominated me for the work i did a couple of weeks ago when i spent a day shifting a couple of tons of soil out of a hidden corner of the garden and build a compost bin out of pallets we had stuff delivered on and then arranged for a local recycling group to collect the cardboard, metal, plastic and the green waste we couldnt compost (when we cut the lawns we have 15-20 black sacks of clippings) and aquired a delivery cage to put in the bin area to keep it all in.
In total i have apparenty cut the rubbish we have removed by 25% in the first 2 weeks and if all the staff in the other departments get involved it could go down by 50%.
As we pay for each bin load collected it makes a huge financal difference to the company as well as keeping some stuff out of landfill.
For this i got a certificate, a brass pin badge and £25 in vouchers, but the idea now goes to a national "final" and if it is picked and is introduced nationwide there is a bigger cash prize and a holiday up for grabs.
just goes to show sometimes doing the right thing does get noticed and recognised.
Naomi

Good for you Pilsbury. I am really happy for you.

It just shows that your effort was even more worthwhile than you thought. Good luck in the final!!!

So ...what are you going to treat yourself to with the vouchers???

N x
Treacodactyl

Contratulations, so it alsp pays to be green. Very Happy Laughing Good luck with the "final".
Pilsbury

If i do win it will probably go on the wedding and the holiday can be a honeymoon but i am just please that it is recognised and has the chance of going nationwide.
I really cant see why not cos it only took me a day to sort out, costs absolutly nothing and saves the company money and earns it green points in publicity so even if i get nothing i hope they pick it up and make it work.
2steps

wel done Pilsbury. thats brilliant
dougal

Brill !!
Now are there any company PR-types to spread the story of 'being green cuts our costs'? Its a 'good' story as well as a "good story" for the local paper, local bod in national final, etc... Cool
Penny Outskirts

Well done Pilsbury, that's brilliant !!!!!!!!!
dpack

good . i like your boss .
beware of vermin cos they spoil the scene Cool
recycle makes lots of sense .
pumpkins on the top of the compost ?
Pilsbury

I would like to do the pumpkins but there isn't much in the bin yet but i recon next year its a go'er. I plan to fill the first pallet bin this year then turn it all into a second bin next to it and then start filling the first bin again and i recon the first bin should be full and ready for the pumpkin season next year. We normally have a guess the weight comp to raise funds and it would be good if we could grow our own for it in 2007 as well as enough pumpkins to put on the menu a few times.
dpack

sounds good .
with cinnamon and a hint of cardammon is nice Wink
tigger

Great work, Pilsbury! Well done! occasion5
moongoddess

Oh well done! What a fabulous story and kudos to your boss for actually recognising and validating your achievement.

mg x
Rob R

cheers Just what we need- people making a real difference in the commercial world, as opposed to giving up on conventional working patterns, which will still go on wether the environmentally concious are there or not (not unlike my view on vegetarianism v animal welfare). And the best thing is, you weren't even intending to get an award. Well done Cool

wav
marigold

Well done Pilsbury - it's great that your efforts have been recognised. I think you might qualify as a social entrepreneur Very Happy
nora

Congratulations pilsbury. thumbright Glad they appreciate what you've done and good luck for the final.
Lozzie

Pilsbury that's really fantastic. Well done!
Nick

Well done!

I bet the vouchers are for Tesco. Wink
Pilsbury

Nope not Tescos, This is the site with all the shops that accept them.
www.capitalbonds.co.uk
wishus

Well done!

Our company is having an 'environmental awareness day' next month. We do lots of recycling initiatives.

Shame we actually have to manufacture stuff, otherwise you might be able to call us environmentally friendly.
Stacey

Wow! Well done Pilsbury Smile
judith

Excellent! Best of luck for the finals.

As you say, these things really don't take a lot of effort - why is it so difficult to get the message across?
Cathryn

Fantastic Very Happy Spread the word!
tahir

Well done Pilsbury Wink
Pilsbury

well I didnt win but a few weeks ago they sent a photographer to our home and I got roped into this, Its nothing to do with my attempts at recycleing apparently but it is good to see it happening

and yes it is me in the first photo, this is in our monthly staff mag
gil

Oh, great stuff ! Missed this thread first time round.
Well done. Pilsbury, you're a star. I'm sure Jerkymeister would agree

How about a 'Pilsbury is Ace ' thread ?
Pilsbury

now lets not get carried away yet Embarassed

but thanks anyway
marigold

Excellent! Well done Pilsbury Very Happy .
kevin.vinke

Nice one an good luck Cool
john

Idea Question Very Happy Well done, it's nice to know people liked your idea, keep up the good work your doing to show others.
May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P. Smile
hamster

Well done!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home