Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Bugs

I hate smoking but

I'm just interested in the rules/practicalities of growing your own tobacco. I'm sure I've read of people doing it, but I imagine the turning of plants in to tobacco is a long winded process, and then there's the tax/duty implications.

Certainly if you insist on smoking (which makes you a bad person, and I'm not arguing about that Wink ) then this must be a better way around it?

Oh, and I also love the smell of pipe tobacco before it's lit. Weird, mmm.
judyofthewoods

Tobacco does need a curing process, but I'm sure the info is out there on the net. But what I would add to that is that I've heard that cancer was not associated with smoking many years ago before non-organic growing and chemical additives, which are thought to be the real culprit. So, if you have to do it, why not do it the least harmful way. And bugger the taxman, why should you pay the government for growing for your own use? Who is to know? As far as I know, it is not illegal to grow it.
Lloyd

judyofthewoods wrote:
So, if you have to do it, why not do it the least harmful way. And bugger the taxman, .
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Treacodactyl

I think it's somewhere along the lise of you can grow it but either the curing or smoking is taxable. I maybe confusing it with bio-fuels which could be dangerous. Shocked

I do like the plants.
thos

judyofthewoods wrote:

.. cancer was not associated with smoking many years ago before non-organic growing and chemical additives, which are thought to be the real culprit ...

If it were that simple, the tobacco companies would have ensured that tobacco did not cause cancer so they could keep selling it.

You can grow and cure your own tobacco, although duty is payable.

http://www.coffinails.com tells you all you need to know.
jema

thos wrote:
judyofthewoods wrote:

.. cancer was not associated with smoking many years ago before non-organic growing and chemical additives, which are thought to be the real culprit ...

If it were that simple, the tobacco companies would have ensured that tobacco did not cause cancer so they could keep selling it.

You can grow and cure your own tobacco, although duty is payable.

http://www.coffinails.com tells you all you need to know.

Yep, I don't buy that one. You can proably say that less people died from smoking as many years ago they would proably have died from something else before the smoking killed them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home