Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
skedone

i have a idea to help us all . if u guys think it will be ok

hi everyone

i have a idea its summit i am allready making but i need your help i am at the mo compiling a POI (point of interest for tomtom) on fungi/mush that i find in my area and other areas i go to i am making so u can selct type u are looking for then with the gps it will guide u to were they are. now this is were u guys come in i can only do my area as i dont own a car (only a scooter), but u guys with gps can get location of normal area for certain types parasol and others that pop up in same location each season then i can add these to the poi list and then upload somewere for us all to enjoy, i think this is a good idea it will help new commers and vetrains alike .

any question post bellow

sorry for spelling grammer but english is my first lang lol
joanne

Fantastic idea but don't most people guard their mushroom locations rather jealously - getting people to share might be your main problem
hedgehogpie

Not to mention the landowners feelings on the matter, they might not be too chuffed about it?
skedone

yeah i did think of that but im sure there is some at least that people dont mind telling
skedone

as for the land owner comment what are u doing on private land without permission anyways i allways ask permission even in my local woods its just plan manners i thought that would be a given
doctoral

Surprised I think you will only get locations for inedible or worse, poisonous varieties. Very few people who know what they are doing will reveal locations of their favourite mushrooms - are the GPS company in question suggesting a fee for this type of research ???
hedgehogpie

skedone wrote:
as for the land owner comment what are u doing on private land without permission anyways i allways ask permission even in my local woods its just plan manners i thought that would be a given

Excuse me, I think that's more than a little rude! Mad

What I'm pointing out - if you'd chosen to read it properly - is that 'your' landowner (or mine for that matter) has given permission for you (or me) to be where we are. But do you really think they'd be quite as happy to give that permission if they then found you were apparently extending what looks like an open invitation to all and sundry? I somehow doubt it.

Something similar already exists in the form of a database from the British Mycological Society, but it was not created to locate edible fungi for foraging - http://194.203.77.76/fieldmycology/FRDBI/FRDBI.asp

Good luck to you if you think you can get it to work.
skedone

and in reply to doc no mate it WAS going to be FREE and made by me mate i thought it would a nice thing for member of sites u could post it on forum main page
hedgehogpie

Skedone, calm down. I thought, and think it's a good idea but you must know that there'll be some problems getting it to work - & the ones that have been pointed out are honest opinions, not personal pops at you or your idea. But they might not be the only problems you come across as you try getting it to work.

You asked for an opinion - would you rather we all lied to you or that we were honest? And which would be more helpful in the long run?

If you think it's a good idea stick with it, and as I said, good luck.
skedone

sorry dude it was just the exscuse me bit it looked like a pop to me lol it should not be hard mate it was going to be things like for instance i know were in both my two local woods alot of different mushrooms grows each year and i have allready been told by my county councle that they dont mind if u pick in any of the parks or public areas as long as u dont pick masive amouts and dont desterb area to much . as for making the poi in question nah any person can do it tomtom give away a free poi editer all u have to do is make icon and imput description and long/lat cords

hope that clears it up

sorry again
gil

Hi there
I'm not a 'shroomer, but I am a fruit forager / wild harvester. I do it on other people's land with their permission / invitation, but would be wary of passing on info about where, in case other folk did not treat the land and plants/trees with the same respect. I would see this as betraying in some way the confidence the landowner (private, not public sector) has placed in me, which is because they know me as an individual. They also know that there is (now) a commercial aspect to what I do, and are cool with that (barter Smile ).

Given that there are seemingly issues around people foraging for 'shrooms in certain places (Epping/New Forest, or am I imagining ?), would a d/base, however well-intentioned and aimed at like-minded / responsible folk, be the best way to proceed ?

Nor wishing to pour cold water on a generous and public-spirited initiative....

"fruit forager" gil
bingo

Mushroom patch guide?

Sorry mate,I would only share my patches with a small number of individuals, in confidence not too many people would find out there location. I have some spots I don't think any other human being knows about. Thats a very personal thing and special. I won't be sharing those with anybody, I will pass them on to my kids. I think it takes the fun and what its all about out of it. If losts of people visit the same area's they would simply get trashed. It goes against the grain in my opinion.
Stewy

Blue Oyster Bar Bingo?
bingo

I'm married mate............but like dressing up.
skedone

But thats what im saying guys there must be some areas u dont mind share , i mean my best place noone else is allowed on as there private property so there will be few i wont post as well LIKE i have allready tried to say.

to recap

1)this will be a free service that the admin/mods of this site can add home page of this site or i will host it (i have 8 servers)

2)it will be for people of this site only

3) it will be public accesss areas ONLY unless its your land and u dont mind

4)it will be edible mainly

5) it will be for tomtom nav (all versions , i use it on my palm) and for other systems that allow POI
cab

Skedone, its not un-doable, but I'll cofess to being wary of the idea.

First thing to point out is that many of us don't have that kind of technology, and have no intention of ever, ever having it. For me personally it really goes against the grain of what foraging is about. I'm not saying for a moment that theres any 'getting back to nature' here, but when I forage I take with me a rucksack, a basket, a pocket knife, and thats about it. No mobile phones, no GPS, no vehicle in fact (other than, occasionally, a bicycle).

The great thing about foraging the same spots year after year is that you get to see how they change and develop; you're not only a visitor, you're also a guardian. And you get protective, you get less and less likely to want to tell anyone where your spots are, especially when that would mean sharing with people who haven't spent years cultivating an acquaintance with your own particular patch of woodland, parkland, fen or wherever. The idea of putting data on my blewit patches on a database for other people to come screaming in by car from miles away is really quite alien to me.

But theres yet another consideration; foraging is about reading the signs of what should be growing where, learning what conditions favour what species. And, of course, after picking food in one spot in a field you'll be able to find that same spot, from memory, next year and the year after that, thats a hard wired ability that all higher primates have. By going through that process you develop a real respect for those green places; while most of us here who've been picking for a while are happy to help people do ID's on specimens, thats all about helping people to help themselves. Giving precise locations is taking that way, way further than I'd be comfortable with. To share your foraging spots with people, especially when its mushrooms, is to bestow a real honour.

So yeah, the ethic of what you're suggesting (helping people out) is bang on for Downsizer as a site, but I think its out of kilter with how we foragers think and operate.
hedgehogpie

Well said Cab.

My kit's the same (except I usually take the camera too).
mochyn

Absolutely agree, Cab. Another possible problem could be the use of the facility by 'professional foragers', picking to sell, which could lead to the stripping of sites.

Part of foraging is the delight of, while out wandering, just coming across a patch of something interesting.

I can see the idea behind what you want to do, Skedone, and I'm sure you have only the best motives. sadly, there are lots of people out theire who would only exploit the thing.
dpack

how to identify good sites is fine by me but i dont reveal any of my best sites and treat them sustainably .
im against this idea as it could quickly become a victim of its own success and at £20 a kilo upwards there would be plenty take advantage
jema

dpack wrote:
at £20 a kilo upwards there would be plenty take advantage

sad but very hard to argue with Sad
skedone

MODS PLEASE DELETE ENTIRE THREAD thanks this wont work and is not as well recieved as i thought it would be so i will scrap the idea
bingo

O.K. sked. the crid ref. to that spot is........oh bugger were did I put that map......... I'll have to get ack to you.
skedone

lol yeah thanks for that , dont know why i bother sometimes just for people to in my area to know belfairs park in leigh-on-sea essex is mental for all kinds of edibles enjoy your self if u enter in were the carpark is keep to the path threw the woods the the path will branch off buy a stream take the right branch follow to a clearing and enjoy parasoles bays and ceps so many in fact u could fill a car .

dont forget tho season for them is over in that area at mo (apart from a few ) also have found decievers velvet shank chicken of the woods ect ect
bingo

shrooms

That's nice to know sked. Sounds like there's lots of fungi in belfairs park.
Get yourself up there end of next August fill your car up,then you won't be needing the locations of my patches, will you.
cab

skedone wrote:
MODS PLEASE DELETE ENTIRE THREAD thanks this wont work and is not as well recieved as i thought it would be so i will scrap the idea

Heck, don't feel bad that you've suggested something that we haven't all agreed with. It would be a dull, dull world if we all had the same ideas.

If its okay with you, I'd like to leave the thread here; maybe some time in the future more people will like your plan, and the idea will really get going.
jema

Who was it said that the secret to having good ideas was having lots of ideas?
skedone

yeah no worrys cab , and lol im not realy upset dude thats fine by me i understand u guys are very secritve but thats why i asked for AREAS u dont mind giving away and bear in mind the more activity a area sees the more grows according to roger phillips and peter jordon as this helps the spores get about both have stated in there books that areas that they allways take people to for forays have doubled in yeld if not more
jema

been thinking about the literal years I have wasted pushing ideas that people didn't have the heart to ruthlessly shoot down!

There are a few ideas in this world where people can go against the accepted wisdom and triumph, I bet the Wright Brothers were told to go back to making bikes!
But by and large it would have done be a big big favour several times to get a real roasting on an idea.
bingo

This site was a good idea jema.
jema

bingo wrote:
This site was a good idea jema.

And time well spent, but there is a big box of failures hidden in the closet Neutral
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home