Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Mary-Jane

I'm really enjoying the Olympic Torch relay live stream...

...as it passes through Wales Very Happy

It comes to Cardigan on Sunday lunchtime, so I'll be down at the rugby club helping out at the BBQ (to raise funds for Jack's school)and cheering it on as it passes by. One of Jack's friends is carrying it for one of the shifts as it gets towards Aberystwyth on Monday.

It's all great fun. I really can't be bothered with the moaners and their 'Oh I couldn't give a toss..." attitude Rolling Eyes
Mary-Jane

And you can't help but be moved by the stories of some of the torch bearers...

Anne's nomination story

"Anne was diagnosed with breast cancer aged 32. Following a mastectomy an infection developed then 6 cycles of chemotherapy endured which lasted 5 months. Four years on, a recurrence of the primary tumour was diagnosed. Removal and radiotherapy followed. In 2008 Anne was told that she had secondaries in both lungs and in several lymph nodes. Her life expectancy would be severely shortened and that there was no cure. During this time and 9 months of chemotherapy Anne`s husband filed for divorce. Recent scans have shown that Anne`s cancer is not currently active. This year she completed the Cardiff Rotary club 5K run. This diminutive, very special lady is passionate to raise awareness of secondary breast cancer and campaigns to get access to more support and help. At Breast Cancer Care we have benefitted hugely from Anne`s contribution; meetings with senior politicians to influence change, as a speaker at events, modelling at the spectacular Breast Cancer Care Cardiff Fashion Show in 2010. At a recent event at which Anne spoke, a lady who was diagnosed with primary breast cancer two years ago was attending her first social event since diagnosis. Hearing Anne speak she commented `I never thought life could be like this again... its absolutely inspirational`. She is an inspiration to us all; such dignity, hope and an exemplary approach to life and living. She is exceptional and few deserve your consideration more."
Nick

I saw it yesterday. Fat sweaty bloke in a nylon tracksuit carrying a burning torch, chased by a dozen coppers, heading for Leominster. A normal day in Hereford.

That said, I loved it. And watched the stream as it went past the kids at school, etc.

I'm with you. I think it's great.
Bebo

Oh, I couldn't give a toss......
Mary-Jane

*Slap*
Bebo

*Slap*

Not about the torch relay, about the fact that you're enjoying it. Wink
Went

Events such as these are the cement of our society and communities, bringing people together for a common purpose is great. Bebo

Events such as these are the cement of our society and communities, bringing people together for a common purpose is great.

I thought that was what the pub was for.
Mary-Jane

I love it that as soon as the torch gets to Wales, the webcam keeps losing the signal every 5 minutes. Welcome to our world everyone! Laughing tahir

Events such as these are the cement of our society and communities, bringing people together for a common purpose is great.

Or hangings
Bebo

Or hangings

Never been to one. My nan always told be anything that hangs should be shot at.
Nick

Or hangings

And stonings. That way the common man can join in, too.
tahir

Or hangings

And stonings. That way the common man can join in, too.

Exactly, now that's entertainment!
Went

You lot need some happy pills.... Wink Nick

You lot need some happy pills.... Wink

Stone him!
Mary-Jane

Look, could you lot sod off elsewhere? This thread is about the Olympic Torch relay - not public executions... Rolling Eyes Nick

Stone her! Behemoth

Couldn't you combine them? I'm sure the greeks did. Bebo

Couldn't you combine them? I'm sure the greeks did.

Can't do it these days. They have special tests in place so you can't get stoned while competing.
12Bore

If we combined the torch and the Jubilee beacon, we could have burning at the stake, you could even throw in a charity BBQ as a fundraiser.

Just sayin...
Dabinett

I find it quite odd that a tradition that was started by the Nazis in order to endorse Hitler's regime in the build up to the Berlin Olympics in 1936 has become so popular tbh. Nick

Wow, godwins law in action, and so early on! Penny Outskirts

Ignore them MJ, I loved it too. vegplot

Stone her!

Burn her.
vegplot

If we combined the torch and the Jubilee beacon, we could have burning at the stake, you could even throw in a charity BBQ as a fundraiser.

Just sayin...

Now you're talking.
Sherbs

It's arriving in Swansea today and will be going right past the end of our street this evening so I think we will turn out to watch it as the Sherbling is very excited. We have been given free passes into the daytime celebration event by friends so, although it sounds like my idea of a special sort of hell - hot, crowded, loud and full of hot, thirsty, overstimulated kids - I think we will go as the Sherbling is very excited about that too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home