Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Finsky

I made a shawl pin...what do I do next..

I treated myself new carving knife...and then I got interested a piece of wood in a log basket.. Laughing
It is mulberry wood..didn't know if it even can be carved..but here we are Very Happy
This pin is now roughly sanded and needs little bit touching with finer gauge but what do I do then?
I would like to bring some of the natural colouring up ...do I need oil of some sort for it..if so what?
I have plenty of my own cleaned beeswax..but suppose that is only to give final buffing up with??
What I don't want to do is go and buy some big jar of something very expensive and artificial in a chemical way that I don't have much use otherwise..my little carving experiments are usually something to do being useful in kitchen and not that often neither Rolling Eyes

[/img]
Finsky

AND...I just learned how to post photos..!!!! BE WARNED!!! Twisted Evil Laughing
sean

Almond oil gives a nice finish on wood. I use it on my violin and our dining table.
Bodrighy

Personally I wouldn't use oil on anything like this as IME it is likely to come off on the clothes. Bees wax would be OK if you rub it well in and certainly would be the traditional finish I would have thought. I use a wax called Renaissance wax as it is a very hard wearing wax and ideal; for this sort of thing but it is about £10 a small tin though it does go a long way and would last you a long time, I assume you will be doing more carving?

Like the quirky shape to this by the way.
Pete
Finsky

Almond oil gives a nice finish on wood. I use it on my violin and our dining table.

How is the surface finished after almond oil..suppose you don't get no staining from violin..?
Finsky

Personally I wouldn't use oil on anything like this as IME it is likely to come off on the clothes. Bees wax would be OK if you rub it well in and certainly would be the traditional finish I would have thought. I use a wax called Renaissance wax as it is a very hard wearing wax and ideal; for this sort of thing but it is about £10 a small tin though it does go a long way and would last you a long time, I assume you will be doing more carving?

Like the quirky shape to this by the way.
Pete

Does the waxes need warming up before use..or the item warmed to get the wax to 'soak' in..or is it just meant to be surface 'job'?

Oh yes..more carving ahead..but being just a bit of fun, I do it when that sort of urge hits me.. Laughing I really don't know what I'm doing...either with carving nor with finishing touches...I just take the knife out and get on with it...and it is always surprise what the item turns out to be like.
This time I did know what I was aiming for..as I needed new pin..but I always go 'with the grain'...or let the wood 'talk'.. I don't have any fancy tools neither so there is not much options..
Bodrighy

Bees wax is very soft and warms up as you rub it in so will soak into the grain a bit. Renaissance wax you just rub it gently into the wood, don't need much, then leave for a few minutes and then buff up. It was invented for use in museums to protect all sorts of materials so is very hard wearing and durable. Doesn't leave finger prints. You can apply wax after the almond oil if you want to but test on a scrap bit of the same wood as oils can discolor, for good or bad.

Pete
Finsky

Hmm...ummmm...

Thank you both...that has given me something to think about...

I shall have a look where the get some of that Rwax...
MornieG

Enshortened

Cheapest I can see on fleabay. I have had a tin for about 5 years and Pete probably uses it more than I do. I have used it on my silver work to slow down tarnishing.

Mo.XX
Finsky

cheers..thanks for the link!

That's ordered.. thumbleft
..and I have some almond oil left in my aromatherapy 'kit' too...

Time for some experimentations..... Laughing
Nicky cigreen

i really like the pin - lovely Smile

I use almond oil on my recorders and on the spinning wheel
Shan

I use Danish oil on our kitchen table. Finsky

Bit of a leap from tiny pin to violins>to spinning wheels and to kitchen table.. Laughing
..and last night I made yet another butter knife...and the carving knife was well lubricated with blood.. Rolling Eyes Oh well..it has been now 'christened'' or is it been 'paid what is due'...?
I'm still alive and kicking and they are only little scratches...it always takes time to get used to new tools Rolling Eyes
Nicky cigreen

mr Cig made me a wooden spoon a bit like that last year - involved a car trip into town and 9 stitches - tis a lovely spoon though! madcat

Tools will have their due of blood.
Small but sore cut in finger from all purpose knife used to strip back insulation to change a plug from household to blue outdoor one.

Love the shawl pin Finsky.
Rusticwood

Love the pin, and another vote for wax finish.
Keep the knife sharp and if you cut yourself the cuts heal faster and better than with a blunt knife
Mistress Rose

You could try making some beeswax polish. I put a little carnuba wax (available from your beekeeping supplier) in to give a shiny finish too.

That looks good Finsky. I was doing a bit of work on some carved spoons on Saturday, and apart from having a sore arm again, found I had cut the top of my thumb. Didn't notice it until later when it hurt.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home