Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Cathryn

I need pointing to an expert.

Please could someone point me in the right direction.

I need expert advice as I think we need to find out where bedrock begins and ends at the edge of the coast and I don't know quite who to ask to find out if it is possible to find this out, if you see what I mean. Smile

It might be a case of using a bore hole maker or whatever it is called or maybe something more technical. There is no geology department at the University anymore but I bet there's someone else around locally that could advise. Can you help with any prompts please?
Behemoth

I think you need a firm of Consulting Engineers, preferably and engineering geologist? Yellow pages?
Bebo

It'll probably be a geotechnical engineer that you need (or a site investigation company might be able to help out).
Cathryn

Oh yes, thank you, they look like the people. (They also look scarily large scale and expensive but I will scroll through and see what I can find.) The site investigation type companies might be suitable as well though.
RichardW

You have PM
Truffle

Sounds very interesting, can I ask what its for?

Also, this may be of some use: http://www.bgs.ac.uk/education/geology_of_britain/home.html

Truffle
Cathryn

Thank you but we need very local information. It is interesting in a way but it's not a new project and it's too personal (and probably too prohibitively costly) to be happily detached from it. The sea wall and the track that ran alongside it was washed away in a storm a few weeks ago. We are replacing it but I also want to look at longer term solutions, if there are any.
RichardW

What about those American house movers?

Might be cheaper than fixing it long term.
gil

That has been done in the UK [moving an entire house] - the old lighthouse on Beachy Head. Also cottages at Birling Gap. Therefore there will be a company in the UK that does this.

Might be worth asking the appropriate dept of Eastbourne Council if they have a contact
Cathryn

Shocked Smile It's made up of so many bits it would fall apart.

I can't believe it would merit it but I will look at the sums.
RichardW

Or take it apart & use the materials to rebuild a new one but then you could redesign it for modern life but still keep the "family history".
Mary-Jane

Re: I need pointing to an expert.

Cathryn wrote:
There is no geology department at the University anymore...

I thought it was part of 'Earth Sciences' now Cathryn?

In any event, if you contact Dr. Rob in his *other* role at Ceredigion CC, I think he might be able to help you. I know there has been a recent geological report done of all the Ceredigion Coastline - he could probably point you in the right direction.
Cathryn

Oh thank you. Smile

We had a rather good independent consultant out from the council last week. He came along with a council employee who, when asked if there could possibly be any help for us financially or otherwise came out with the classic "it's not my department". Smile
vegplot

Cathryn wrote:
We are replacing it but I also want to look at longer term solutions, if there are any.

Be very careful with matches, candles, and similar.
Cathryn

Too damp to get anything alight. Smile
Mary-Jane

Cathryn wrote:
Too damp to get anything alight. Smile

Well, if you'd get Jack to commission Gervase to sort it all out... Wink
Cathryn

What and spend money?! Shocked

(I can't show him this thread now and in any case I don't want blood pressures issues just before Christmas. Wink Smile Smile )
Brownbear

Knock it down and build a new one. Probably cheaper than repairing an old soggy half-ruin. Either that or just hope it slumps back into the ground from which it rose, so you can treat yourself to a caravan or a yurt or something equally upmarket.
Mary-Jane

Brownbear wrote:
Knock it down and build a new one. Probably cheaper than repairing an old soggy half-ruin.

*Shriek* Surprised Shame on you BB...have you learned nothing from Gervase?
Nick

Mary-Jane wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
Knock it down and build a new one. Probably cheaper than repairing an old soggy half-ruin.

...who's married to an old soggy half-ruin.
Mary-Jane

Nick wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

...who's married to an old soggy half-ruin.

Mad *Stomp, stomp, stomp...SLAM!*

*Sob*
Nick

My work here is done.
12Bore

Try contacting Universities, Liverpool Uni School of Earth and Ocean Sciences has the best rep (that's where my lad is doing his Masters in Geology Wink ) the chap i/c is a Professor Koklar (sp?), second best is apparently Southampton. They have loads of detailed info, and may even have studied your particular area at some point.
Brownbear

Mary-Jane wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

I've learned you have to spend money to keep a traditional building in good order. And if you're not going to spend money, you might as well give up and start again elsewhere. Timber frames and drywall might only last 20 years, but they're cheap to throw up.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home