Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Cathryn

I need some help with a Crendon building!

Lots of help please! Could all those of you with experience of these buildings and of putting them back together again get in touch. Specifically the Crendon.

Rob has one of these - all the pieces, not really very useful like that though. Rolling Eyes Can we have some advice initially (but I might be back after that Wink ).
Marionb

Do you have a link, Ruby? Confused
Rob R

This is to what the young lady refers...

Marionb

Ah right.... rather bigger than the sort I was imagining.. Very Happy
Cathryn

I was also kinda thinking walls and roof myself but hey...that's Rob for you.
dougal

ruby wrote:
... Rob has one of these - all the pieces, not really very useful like that though. Rolling Eyes Can we have some advice initially (but I might be back after that Wink ).
Rob R wrote:
This is to what the young lady refers...

No experience of these things. Did help erect a timber cruck frame barn once though... that's different.

BUT...
... that photo looks like its *trying* (very hard) to illustrate some of the construction steps. (Are there more photos?)
That one shows the posts solidly emplaced.
- yet once the first of a pair of roof truss/beam is lifted into place, it is shown as carefully propped up rather than simply left cantilevered off the post while its fellow opposite is brought into place for it to lean on.
- it looks as though the haywain is demonstrating safe access methods for joining the beam to the post, making the ridge joint between the opposite beams and attaching the roof supports.
- I can't quite make out the detail of the cleverly chosen unequal lifting strops, so that the beam is lifted at the correct angle...

I don't know the significance of the fittings illustrated as being ready-attached to the post in the foreground...

My guess would be that the arch span dimension could be obtained from temporarily assembling a single arch, flat on the ground, and measuring the thing. If there are prefabricated roof supports or side braces, they should give you the arch-to arch separation... and while it was assembled, one could prepare the unequal length strops for the fork separation on one's forklift, to lift and support the beams at the optimum angle, while they are attached to the posts, and then either propped, or ridge-jointed.

Looks like a more fun jigsaw puzzle than most... Very Happy
Rob R

Thanks, it is indeed Very Happy, that is me taking it down too...

What ms ruby is looking for is some builder from the seventies who's had practical experience of erecting one for advice on certain practical considerations (such as setting up the wedges, if you know what a Crendon is, you'll know what the wedges are about) so that she can send me away for a weekend, don a blue jumpsuit & ride around in an open top vehicle ordering people to get on with it, thus surprising me on my return to find a fully erected cattle shed... (is that not right?)
Cathryn

Shocked He can read my mind. Shocked

Actually I had visions of gingham, blonde girls, handsome men, lots of singing, handsome men, and then whoosh ye olde barn perfectly erected and us all picnicking happily in the flower strewn meadow. Wink
dougal

Well, I suppose if the bloke that took it to pieces doesn't know how to put it back together... then you may just have to go asking for help at Long Crendon...
Rob R

She's not really asking how to do it, just looking for someone to come & do it, don't think she got a jigsaw for Christmas this year Wink

There's also a small matter of finance...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home