Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Pilsbury

I swop veg peelings for.....

Worms lol.
A guy phoned me up last week at work and asked this I do with my veg peeling, t bags and egg shells, since work got rid of my compost bins I have been throwing them and he asked for them to feed to his worms, it sounds like he is building a few good sized beds and planning indoor beds in the shed as well.
I got a can o worms wormery off free cycle last year and e kindly gave me a tub off bedding, a tub of compost and a big pot of worms including juveniles and eggs.
It's one of those quite surreal things when the bell goes and I nip downstairs with a bag of peeling and hand them over but I am pleased its being used and I have worms now.
sally_in_wales

sounds a quite splendid arrangement Cool
earthmamma

Are you going to eat the worms Pilsbury? Wink Very Happy
Runs and hides, quickly.
Pilsbury

Worm omlette are supposed to be quite tasty and nutritious so you never know.....

Mainly I got the free wormery last year and hadn't got round to setting it up so this seems to of worked out well.
A small amount of stuff kept out of landfill granted but it all helps and I hope to have some stunning pottimg compost next year as I want to try selling some herbs and cuttings at works summer fayre and of course for sowing the veg for home and work.
Londonworms

A small amount of stuff kept out of landfill granted.

I think you're being too modest mate Very Happy

I'm getting roughly 1.5 kilos of scraps a day from you. When my numbers of worms are up to scratch and I have conditions just right for them, they'll devour that lot in a day. If we times that by 365, that's a theoretical half a ton and more of food waste not going into the landfill thanks to you.

No small contribution in my books Very Happy

And thanks for the pointer to this forum. Been browsing for a bit and it's extremely interesting.
Penny Outskirts

Hello Wormguy hello2
Londonworms

Hello Wormguy hello2

Hi Penny Very Happy

My first post thanked Pilsbury for the pointer to this forum. Now I'm not so sure Evil or Very Mad

I should have been out turning the compost before it gets dark and instead I'm here reading thread after thread Evil or Very Mad

Grrrrrr.

Very Happy
wishus

Hello! Welcome Wormguy!

Your pic has just reminded me - spaghetti for tea! Wink
Londonworms

Hello! Welcome Wormguy!

Your pic has just reminded me - spaghetti for tea! Wink

Hi Wishus and thanks for the warm welcome. Very Happy
Pilsbury

Nice to see you here mate.
Plenty to keep you busy on here.
12Bore

Hello Wormguy, welcome in! Laughing Londonworms

Hello Wormguy, welcome in! Laughing

Cheers 12Bore Very Happy

Great forum I have to say, with thanks to Pilsbury for pointing me here.

As a father of two girls, I relate totally to your avatar Very Happy
Went

Hello Wormguy - tell us more about your worms...please Very Happy gritstone

Hi and yes I'd be interested in knowing more, I'm assuming they're the blue nosed? What about horse muck as feed or at least bedding, every fork I turn after just a week or so is full of worms. alice

Your avatar really is gross though Sad Pilsbury

I looked I'm my wormbin this morning and that ptetty much what It looked like.
They are doing great so far.
Londonworms

Your avatar really is gross though Sad

Yeah I did think it might be a bit much. Updated now with a temporary Avatar till I can find something a bit less ''in your face''. I do appreciate my delicious, lovely, succulent worms are not everyones cup of tea Very Happy
Went

Hello Wormguy - tell us more about your worms...please Very Happy Londonworms

Hello Wormguy - tell us more about your worms...please Very Happy

They're Dendros and they're lovely Very Happy

I've given them all names, and I sing to them and leave Classic FM on for them at night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll do some write ups on composting with worms, how to make a wormbin for next to nothing, or literally nothing, the pitfalls to watchout out for, and so on if people are interested.

I've got several beds going in the sheds, one bed that composts dog and fox poop exclusively, and am currently setting up a much bigger outdoor bed, to experiment with over the winter - all the stuff is precomposting now so the worms can chow down from the off.

I'm also going to get some Tiger worms to experiment with and run some comparisons with the Dendros. There's a ton of contradictory findings out there, but I suspect it's all very much based on individual and very specific conditions relating to the worms.
Jamanda

I'll do some write ups on composting with worms, how to make a wormbin for next to nothing, or literally nothing, the pitfalls to watchout out for, and so on if people are interested.

Yes Please!!!! And if you could add a photo or two we could turn it in to an article if you don't mind. I'm sure it would be very well recieved!
Went

Yes Please!!!! And if you could add a photo or two we could turn it in to an article if you don't mind. I'm sure it would be very well recieved!

Yes it would Very Happy
Londonworms

Hi and yes I'd be interested in knowing more, I'm assuming they're the blue nosed? What about horse muck as feed or at least bedding, every fork I turn after just a week or so is full of worms.

The vermicompost I've got readying at the moment is exclusively cardboard, waste paper and foot scraps.

As I've got an unlimited amount of horse poop to play with, the bedding for the latest lot of bins I've set up is exclusively horse doodoo. I'm adding dead leaves and food scraps to that.

I've read experiences from some that the Dendros raised exclusively on horse doodoo thrive, but don't grow as big as those raised on a healthier mixture of paper, cardboard, leaves and food waste.

Worms definately do better when their food source is mixed.

The things to watch out for are:

*Make sure the doodoo is well aged to kill off any worm medication and the like that may be lingering.

Having said that, I've read the experiences of a woman who uses her horse doodoo as and when, not bothered about getting it though the heating stage, worms her horses every 8 weeks or so and has never had a problem.

*The doodoo heating up (and it does, rapidly Surprised ) in the beds when other food sources are added, which will be much less of a problem if the manure is well aged.

A lot will depend on the bin/bed set up. In a smallish bin, the worms are trapped! If it gets too hot for them, or the food or bedding isn't right, there's nowhere for them to go!

In a bigger setup, or in a windrow type set up, they can just go deeper, or move away, until conditions are right for them.
Pilsbury

Wow that has to be some sort of record, less that 24 hours on the,site and asked for an article lol.
Londonworms

I looked I'm my wormbin this morning and that ptetty much what It looked like.
They are doing great so far.

Excellent! Sounds like you've got your set-up working really well. sunny
Londonworms

Wow that has to be some sort of record, less that 24 hours on the,site and asked for an article lol.

Hah! You can laugh! You'll be roped in to provide additional research material from your bin and to add additional insight! book Very Happy
Pilsbury

No problem, I'm sure we can sort something out. alice

Your avatar really is gross though Sad

Yeah I did think it might be a bit much. Updated now with a temporary Avatar till I can find something a bit less ''in your face''. I do appreciate my delicious, lovely, succulent worms are not everyones cup of tea Very Happy

ta muchly - that's very considerate of you Very Happy
Kenworth

So no one is using worms for fishing? astra

Hello Wormguy - tell us more about your worms...please Very Happy

They're Dendros and they're lovely Very Happy

I've given them all names, and I sing to them and leave Classic FM on for them at night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've got several beds going in the sheds, one bed that composts dog and fox poop exclusively, and am currently setting up a much bigger outdoor bed, to experiment with over the winter - all the stuff is precomposting now so the worms can chow down from the off.

I'm also going to get some Tiger worms to experiment with and run some comparisons with the Dendros. There's a ton of contradictory findings out there, but I suspect it's all very much based on individual and very specific conditions relating to the worms.

Hi wormguy! Could you tell me how come I get loads of thin red worms in my compost bin without ever putting any in there? the strange thing is it's sitting on concrete so they're not coming up through the ground. It's one of life's little mysteries to me Smile
Londonworms

Hi wormguy! Could you tell me how come I get loads of thin red worms in my compost bin without ever putting any in there? the strange thing is it's sitting on concrete so they're not coming up through the ground. It's one of life's little mysteries to me Smile

They obviously like the conditions of your bin and are happy to stay. Very Happy They're probably reds and they could have come from anywhere Surprised Someone elses compost bin near by, from a pile of leaf mulch you threw in, not noticing the juvies or the cocoons in the mix, a few stray cocoons attached to something that made it's way in, anywhere - they'll always find the good stuff. Very Happy

Although you say it's on concrete, if it's not hermetically sealed Surprised they'll find their way in one way or another.

Once they're settled they're prolific breeders, and they'll regulate their numbers to the conditions.

The cocoons are tough as nails - they hold out until the conditions are right for them to hatch. If you're composting your garden and kitchen waste, they've probably got a nice balance foodwise, so they're happy as larry. Although they'll avoid things like garlic/onions and anything to citric or acidic, if your bin's big enough, and you're composting this stuff, they're able to avoid that area until it's well and truely broken down and they're not bothered by it anymore.

But reds are tough and adaptable and they'll adjust to what's available. The only impact this would have is the quality of the vermicompost they're producing. But even the worst vermicompost is better than anything you can buy commercially and better than just plain old composted materials.

I've got one bin on the go, that only gets fed the dogs poo and the fox poo I clear up from the garden.

The bizzare thing is the worms in there seem bigger and happier than the worms I shower loving tender care on Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I think we can interfere too much with nature - afterall they've managed just fine over the last million years without us Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home