Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
sally_in_wales

I think I'm developing a wool habit

I suppose its better than smoking or drinking myself to death, but I just found myself ordering some really yummy wool (British wool with 14% silk in gorgeous colours) and simultaneously plotting how I could hide the new yarn from Gareth. Its not as if I havent got at least two cubic metres of wool already waiting to be turned into things. I justified that by it being An Exceptional Deal, and telling myself that one must speculate to accumulate, but I know, deep in my murky little soul, that I bought it because it was, cheap, pretty, British and because I wanted to. Embarassed

I've lived most of my adult life firmly embracing the concept that She who dies with the most fabric/wool/craft materials Wins, but I have a sneaking feeling that I've crossed some subtle little line, and am now addicted.

so, deep breath
My name is Sally, and I'm a yarn-a-holic

do I have to go cold turkey, or can I wean myself of buyying pretty wool slowly??
wellington womble

I don't know, but if you find out (or stumble upon wool-aholics anonymous) please let me know, cos I seem to be suffering from it too!

I have some catching up to do, but seeing as I only started knitting about 6 months ago, I have wool stacking up at an alarming rate (clearly I can buy wool much faster than I can knit it!) And I buy wool, because its lovely, and I want to, usually from small british producers. Don't go near ebay! If we move to the new place I shall be buying some wool sources, which probably means I'm a hopeless case, but should at least stop me spending a fortune on wool. At least you knit yours up into useable garments, in a flash, and sell them on to unsuspecting downsizers!
sally_in_wales

clearly what I need is a disease that will keep me off work for say two weeks, but which won't interfere with my ability to knit!
Stacey

Lol @ you two.

Firstly - you are not alone. Have a look through the knitting blogs and you'll see that the recent Flash your Stash left most knitters in a strange state of having to admit their hobby was more of an addiction which was beginning to necessitate the building of purpose built extensions to the house. Some people have in excess of 400 hundred balls of wool in their stash

It seems only to apply to fibre arts/woolcrafts and is something I've been thinking about over the last few months. I guess the moto is 'Don't fight it'

Laughing

p.s - with me it's fleece.
sally_in_wales

Stacey wrote:
Lol @ you two.

p.s - with me it's fleece.

I'm reasonably good at resisting fleece at the moment, I do have something like 20 kilos of alpaca and half an angora goat waiting to be spun, but that can wait!
wellington womble

It also applies to books and plants. it's standing room only for people in this house Rolling Eyes

I don't do shopping - not shoes, clothes, handbags, cosmetics - all that I never buy, unless the ones I've got are falling apart, and I have a strict budget, but still I seem to acquire something for wool stash every 10 days or so. I keep saying no more, and then something irresistable turns up.

It wasn't so bad until I discovered ebay (we don't have any lovely wool shops - I couldn't find a natural fibre in the place in our local one. Good thing too!) But on ebay, there's all that lovely hand spun or hand dyed stuff - it was bit fatal!

Like Sally, I find myself wanting a week or two off work - nothing serious - perhaps a broken toe?
koshka

Hmm... I have a couple of friends who are avid knitters and have been encouraging me to wrestle with a new skill and take it up myself. Not sure I should, now, if yarn's as dangerously addictive as all that Wink
wellington womble

It isn't for everyone - I beleive Bugs is very sensible (or TD is better at finding out than Mr Womble or Gareth are, and she gets caught!)
Rob R

If you're looking for your next 'fix', I have some fresh supplies in Wink
sally_in_wales

Rob R wrote:
If you're looking for your next 'fix', I have some fresh supplies in Wink

back, foul tempter...
wellington womble

You get the cross, sally - I'll run for the holy water!
pink bouncy

I could use the twelve step program as well. 1.10am and here I am, knitting the border on an afghan I've spent all day seaming and contemplating which of my three other WIPs will get my attention next. Should I finish the socks, the scarf or get on with the sweater? Or, could I get away with sneaking in a quick felted bag? Rolling Eyes
sally_in_wales

I think I've just cursed myself, having said to anyone who would listen I could do with some knitting time I've come down with a touch of something that has had me feeling sick and shivery all night and in no state to go to work. Just phoning in as the postie delivers a ribber for my knitting machine. Picked up the parcel to realise I feel far to ill to even unpack it. That has to be penance doesnt it Rolling Eyes

So, as usual with me if I'm off sick, I will spend the rest of the day feeling guilty about not being at work, and not actually achieveing anything here either. bother!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home