Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Rob R

I wonder why...

...the membership of DS is mainly Welsh & SW. Is it:

1) The people in these areas are more Downsizery
2) The people in these areas spend less time working
3) Like attracts like
4) Other
Bulgarianlily

Because land is cheaper outside of the South East? Those were the areas that people moved to when they downsized? Isn't there a load of DS's in Yorkshire?
Barefoot Andrew

Option 2 may be controversial Laughing
A.
Jamanda

I don't think it is dominated by those areas.
mochyn

There are lots of retired hippies around here, many of whom fit into a sort of general downsizeriness. I think the same goes for the South west. Certainly land is cheaper here than in the South east.
vegplot

If you ignore Anglesey Wales looks like a pigs head. How much more downsizery can you get.
Mrs R

I think wales and the southwest have been the home of smallholdings since the 70s. Most smallholdings are in wales or cornwall (apparently, can't remember where I read that) and most books I read about people jacking in city life and buying a smallholding are set in wales or the southwest.
Nicky Colour it green

south Devon definitely isn't cheap.

praps thats why there are only 2 of us here..
Chez

It's probably a combination of all of them.

I suspect that if you join a site like this and see that there are people in your local area, you either run screaming for the hills or you stick around to see what they are like.

I joined initially because I liked the concept. And then Judith bullied me in to meeting up with what became 'the sluts' under the pretext of us all needing encouragement to eat proper lunches whilst our partners worked away. And now I'd say that many people I include among my 'real life' bestest friends are from you lot, as well as people I think of as good friends but don't actually meet very much in real life.

It's odd. But nice.
Chez

vegplot wrote:
If you ignore Anglesey Wales looks like a pigs head.

I wish you would stop going on about that. That's weird, too.
Treacodactyl

For us it's because property is cheaper compared to the SE, it's far less crowded and built up and where we're looking is closer to the sea than many other places in the UK.
vegplot

Chez wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Going on about what? First time I've said it.
sean

Treacodactyl wrote:
For us it's because property is cheaper compared to the SE, it's far less crowded and built up and where we're looking is closer to the sea than many other places in the UK.

That. And Torrington has an ace Arts Centre. I actually go to far more stuff than I did when I lived in London where I tended to suffer from decision paralysis about that sort of stuff.
Behemoth

vegplot wrote:
Chez wrote:
vegplot wrote:

No, you blurt it out in your sleep as well.

That's probably not reassuiring to know.
Chez

vegplot wrote:

Arvo goes on about how the UK is a picture of a man riding a pig. I am SURE that you validated him at some point. I just can't see it, myself.
arvo

vegplot wrote:
If you ignore Anglesey Wales looks like a pigs head. How much more downsizery can you get.

You see, I've always imagined that Anglesey is the other ear, peeking over the top.

Chez doesn't see the man riding the pig. Perhaps its like those optical illusions where you see the vase or the two heads.

Anyhow, fwiw I think there is a snowball effect to people coming out of the woodwork in various areas. If theres a bit of a core of folks in one place (the Camarthen lot, the sluts etc.) then more people seem to gravitate.
Bebo

The second one as I reckon you lot are a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings who should all be ashamed of yourselves. Wink
mochyn

Bebo wrote:
The second one as I reckon you lot are a bunch of lazy good-for-nothings who should all be ashamed of yourselves. Wink

You're just envious because you live over there.
vegplot

Chez wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Arvo goes on about how the UK is a picture of a man riding a pig. I am SURE that you validated him at some point. I just can't see it, myself.

Not heard about that one before, so couldn't have validated it. Can't see it myself.
Chez

Good. Thank you. Beer?
vegplot

Bebo wrote:

"would like to" is missing
vegplot

Chez wrote:
Good. Thank you. Beer?

No thanks. Given it up.
Jamanda

Chez wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Well it is! BW knows to find where he lives on a map because it's on the pig's knee.
Bebo

vegplot wrote:
Chez wrote:
Good. Thank you. Beer?

No thanks. Given it up.

I'll have yours then. drunken
marigold

I think most people with smallholdings (microfarms) in Sussex are too busy doing their day job in the media, networking and organising their staff to post on th'internet...
katie

It's not a man riding on a pig, it's a WITCH riding on a pig. We were taught that in infant's school. (The North bit of Scotland is the witch's hat. Obvious really. Tsk!)
arvo

katie wrote:
It's not a man riding on a pig, it's a WITCH riding on a pig. We were taught that in infant's school. (The North bit of Scotland is the witch's hat. Obvious really. Tsk!)

Yeah... ok... if I close one eye I can see the witch. But you can't see the witch and the man at the same time. Weird.
vegplot

I once gave a lift to a witch.
BahamaMama

vegplot wrote:
I once gave a lift to a witch.

So did I, I wonder if it was the same one?
judith

Don't witches have their own transport?
Fee

I've never seen the pig before, how weird! The man riding it is pushing it a bit, but I can sort of see where you're coming from. So is Norfolk the pigs bum or the mans knee?
BahamaMama

judith wrote:
Don't witches have their own transport?

Mine was singularly lacking in broomsticks or any other mode of transport, and it is a long way up the M1 Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home