Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
T.G

I wonder....

... we discovered today we have some bees nesting in one of our trees, hidden behind the stables, how feasible, neigh sensible or possible would it be to encourage them to go into the hives we have?

or would it be more prudent and wiser to leave them bee Very Happy
sean

Are they honey bees?
T.G

so a neighbour tells me they are, how would one know for sure?

It's a pretty difficult place to get to, to see but they are not wasps/hornets/bumble bees (we have a nest of those in the compost tub)... definately bees, and they have little white bottoms
joanne

Is there any way you can get a photo of them - honey bees don't usually have white bottoms
T.G

jocorless wrote:
Is there any way you can get a photo of them - honey bees don't usually have white bottoms

I’ve tried this morning but the battery in the camera ran out so will have a go when i get that sorted, it's not the easiest place to get too but the white bottomed bees are often seen on the flowers so I’ll keep trying

the kids across at the village school already were agog watching and no doubt wondering why the grown lady was climbing off a stable roof, balancing on a tumbled down limestone wall, dodging barbed wire and dangling in a tree with a camera Neutral
T.G

white bottomed bee

golden bottom bee

white bottom foreground none white bottomed be behind

all these three distinct types ( i know the photos are poor but they were flying and the camera was almost out of battery) were in the garden this afternoon - are any of these honey bees?

oh and we have several of these as well
SandraR

Confused I don't think anyof the bees are honey bees. The photo of the hummingbird hawk moth is fantastic Smile
joanne

They look to me like Bumble Bee's unfortunately
Tavascarow

ID chart for bumble bees.
Solitary bee guide.
Some of the solitary bees are very similar to honey bees, the bumbles are very different.
Picture of honey bee.
Tavascarow

Excellent photo of the hummingbird hawk moth.
Smile
T.G

they're too small to be bumble bees - we have several nests of those, some in the compost and some under ne of the sheds.

they are definately bees - just crap photography on my part

don't look like your pic T so defo not honey bees - we even have hornets and a wasp nest was recently removed from an ancient muck heap - mother nature is taunting me Wink Laughing
Treacodactyl

The.Grange wrote:
they're too small to be bumble bees - we have several nests of those, some in the compost and some under ne of the sheds.

We get bumble bees that are smaller than honey bees.
T.G

Neutral well then jocorless maybe right - we always assumed bumble bees were the larger bees we have bumbling about

from that chart they could be carder bees?
mochasidamo

The white-tailed ones are white-tailed bumble bees...we have a nest in the oak beams of the house eight feet from the back door. There is a much greater size difference from male to female to queen than with honey bees. Incredibly industrious...from 5am til 10 at night, even in drizzle...much more so than the honey bees over the lane!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home