Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Boris

I would like to grow Marsh Samphire

Does anyone know where I can buy some from? I dont live anywhere near the sea. I bought some Rock samphire a year or so ago, and only one of four or five plants survived, and its just becoming edible. But its Marsh Samphire I really like. Possibly I could dig some up but I live in Surrey, the nearest beach is in Chichester! Sad
Jamanda

I don't think you'd get it to grow anywhere other than a salt marsh/estuary environment.
Brownbear

It grows on salt marshes. So you need to either move, or divert your water drains and get a lot of salt.
zigs

Steady there boris

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=52865
Boris

Yes, I have only just realised I have previously posted this topic, as I wasnt getting any replies sent through. Having said that I have just come across a page which says its easy to grow, so I am trying to contact them to ask where to get some plants from.
Boris

OK I have emailed to ask if they know where I can get some from. They say its easy to grow. I grow rock samphire in a tub, I just water it with salt water, Hopefully this will be the same Smile
zigs

Cool, let us know how you get on, i'd like to grow it too.
Just experimenting with home grown water cress, it's going to seed now, will try cutting it back tommorow to see if i get another flush of growth.
Jamanda

How's that working then Ziggy? It need to be running water doesn't it?
zigs

Under the downpipe, with a bit of horse poo in the bottom of the bucket. not that much has come down the downpipe until last nite. Rain at last. Smile
Vanessa

Watercress does NOT need running water to grow, just *plenty of water*. Keep it a bit boggy, and it'll thrive.
mochyn

Ooh! I bought myself some watercress yesterday: perhaps I'll plant some out

ETA does it like sun or shade? I know it prefers an alkaline soil.
Vanessa

Sun would be difficult to keep it wet enough ...
Boris

samphire

Roll of drums please, it took me AGES to find this and then I came upon it by accident

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/vegetable_plants/samphire_plant/

Laughing
Jamanda

Well done! So have you ordered some?
Boris

No after all that someone gave me some which I have stuck in a pot with some salty water, but I have bookmarked the page in case it doesnt take. I put it in a closed bottom pot as it grows in marshland, I dont know if thats right, but my rock samphire plant is gradually growing. I cut some off and it regrew quite quickly. Not really enough for a meal yet though
Boris

PS I just water the rock samphire normally with sea salt water as I gather it grows on cliffs Smile
zigs

Well done Boris, who would have thought of it.

My watercress has got very small leaved after flowering, have cut off the old growth & put it in a fresh bucket of water with a good splash of baby bio.
mochyn

My watercress now has healthy root, growing in a glass of water on the window-sill. I'll pot it up tomorrow.
sean

I wonder how many plants you'd need to get a worthwhile harvest. Any idea, anybody?
mochyn

No.

But then, I'm not anybody.

I'm SOMEBODY!
sean

That's why I wasn't asking you.
mochyn

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home