Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
tahir

Ice Cream maker - NON FUNCTIONING

Not sure if anyone wants to have a fiddle with it, it's just out of it's 5 year warranty and the motor arm is non functional, spares no longer available:

http://cuisinart.conairspares4u.co.uk/cuisinart/ice-cream-makers/compressor-ice-cream-maker/

Free to anyone that might want it or it goes in the bin.
Hairyloon

What do you mean "non-functional"? Is the arm broken, or does it just not move when it is supposed to?
Is it likely to be as simple as a drive belt?
tahir

Doesn't move. I'm thinking a worn cog but it's a sealed unit and I don't have the time to mess with it
Behemoth

And of course you will be wee-ing it, not putting it in the bin. Bad boy.

https://www.essex.gov.uk/Environment%20Planning/Recycling-Waste/reusing-products/Pages/Waste-Electrical-and-Electronic-Equipment-(WEEE)-.aspx
tahir

Weeing in it more like Wink

Yes, it'll go to t'local tip
Hairyloon

Is tempting, but I probably shouldn't.
vegplot

Is tempting, but I probably shouldn't.

Likewise.

We'll go 50/50. You repair it I'll eat the ice cream.
tahir

Very easy for me to box and send
earthyvirgo

NO.
And if vegplot says yes, it's still NO.

EV
vegplot

Me: "Do I want a broken ice-cream maker"

EV: "No!"

'Tis a tough call.
tahir

NO.

EV

Blinking women Rolling Eyes
sean

Working Ice-Cream Machine Seventeen quid in Lidl next week. Hairyloon

Working Ice-Cream Machine Seventeen quid in Lidl next week.
Yeah, but it is not nearly so snazzy as Tahir's.
Hairyloon

NO.

EV

Blinking women Rolling Eyes
Send it to me: I'll arrange a sneaky meet-up with VP to pass it over when EV's not looking. Wink
sean

True. If you just want one as an ornament tahir's is the way to go. Hairyloon

True. If you just want one as an ornament tahir's is the way to go.
It'll probably still work as a chiller...
tahir

It's stripped teeth on a nylon cog, anyone got a 3d printer? Hairyloon

It's stripped teeth on a nylon cog, anyone got a 3d printer?
No, but I'd consider chipping in towards one...
jema

ours narrowly escaped the bin couple of weeks ago, these motorised models seem to be only just above trash, the motor had died some cleaning out seemed to resolve it, but it still stuck after a while on the next test run. Nick

Is the ice cream any good? I just use the freezer, which just works. Is the quality great? tahir

Never tried it any other way, this makes v good ice cream Nick

No, but I'd consider chipping in towards one...

http://www.shapeways.com/
dpack

Weeing in it more like Wink

that is no way to treat kitchen equipment Shocked
vegplot

Never tried it any other way, this makes v good ice cream

I bet EV is monitoring this topic.
earthyvirgo

Of course she blinkin' well is!

EV
earthyvirgo

No it doesn't, it's broken.

EV
sean

EV cheers cheers cheers tahir

EV cheers cheers cheers

Wondered who'd be the first to notice that Smile

I reckon a new cog should be doable on a 3d printer, I'll hang on to it while any of you make enquiries
VM

Funny, I was just wondering about posting a question about whether anyone has used this sort of ice cream maker and would recommend any one in particular - but have one broken one here to get rid of already so another non-functioning one probably a poor idea.

Our old one is a Magimix and my mum bought it around the end of 70s I think, so it has done pretty well! Motor finally gave out a few months ago.

I want to replace it with the same sort of thing, that churns and freezes at the same time, but they are very expensive so feeling anxious about which one.
tahir

We replaced it with the sage one, much quieter and its got its motor in the base so I think it'll be much more durable. Also chimes like an ice cream van when its done vegplot

Cool VM

Interested to see you bought the Sage machine, Tahir. I've looked at it but bit put off by it being the most expensive one out, pretty much. Reviews on Lakeland site mostly good. I like the sound Very Happy of it being quiet as we would have it in the kitchen, where we are most of the time.

Think I will wait and ask you in a while how you are getting on with it!

When we had a working one we used it a lot, so are prepared to spend some money on it if worth it (though have to admit to slight allergy to Heston Blumenthal name/brand).
tahir

We used to have stick the Cuisinart in the garage, the Sage is MUCH quieter dpack

We used to have stick the Cuisinart in the garage, the Sage is MUCH quieter

i have had tools like that Laughing
VM

We used to have stick the Cuisinart in the garage, the Sage is MUCH quieter

Yes the old Magimix one was like that - had to be banished to utility room. But I remain very impressed by the fact that it lasted from circa 1980 to 2014. Call me a grumpy old woman but I am not expecting anything made more recently to do that well!
Hairyloon

Do we have any guess at the size of cogs? It occurred to me that any pair of cogs of about the right size that can be fitted to the shafts should do the job: it's ice cream not rocket surgery...
Falstaff

can't you do a wax model and a plaster of paris mould - with an Aluminium casting ?

Might be a lot of clat for the value of the machine - but be good to wipe the smirk off they gobs ! Laughing

Also if You do it - I don't have to try it on another piece of kit ! Smile
VM

Just wondering, Tahir, if you are still happy with the Sage machine? Seems like the one I want to get but just keep getting anxious because is the most expensive! tahir

Happy so far, it seems to be designed better in terms of where the motor is and how it drives the paddle so hopefully it'll last a lot longer than the cuisinart which was a similar price when we bought it.

Falstaff, when I get a mo I'll definitely make enquiries re the busted cog, even if no one else wants it. We make 10-12 batches at a time 2 or 3 times a year for school/village dos, would be handy to have more than one machine on the job.
Jam Lady

We have a hand crank ice cream machine - wood-looking plastic bucket with a metal container with a sturdy plastic lid that fits inside. Paddles go into metal container, there's a housing across the top, crank handle down the side. Fill between the two containers with ice and rock salt, then crank away.

One of the best we ever made was a maple black walnut - custard of egg yolks and maple syrup, cream, black walnuts. Very good but so rich you could only eat a little.

You're stirring up memories - we used to host an ice cream social in the summer. We provided assorted toppings and each pair of guest brought some ice cream. Great fun.
VM

It's only my breakfast time here but I'm wishing I had some of that maple walnut ice cream in front of me instead of just toast.

Very Happy

And thanks, Tahir, for report. Think we will get one.
Hairyloon

You are starting to make me want an ice cream maker... Jam Lady

It was easy to get the children involved. They only got to lick the dashers at the end if they helped crank first. Peach ice cream is also superb.

Made some gelato / sorbet type frozen stuff too. I remember cantaloupe, for one. Very refreshing.

Methinks I need to search it out, dust it off, and make some soon. Probably excellent therapy for my healing wrist's recovery.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home